Carnival Victory Cruise Review by 507amy

Public Rooms 5+
Entertainment 5+
Value-for-Money 5+
Rates 5+

This is a wonderful ship and a beautiful itinerary!
First off, I do not know why people feel so "entitled" to everything...the Carnival Victory is a decent, well taken care of ship that will help you have a wonderful vaction.

This was our 3rd cruise, first-7 day and all have been with Carnival. We sailed the beginning of March. Our week started with an early flight out of MSP with Delta to New York. We waited in New York 2 hours and then flew on a full plane to San Juan, PR. They will not feed you on these airlplane rides, so adjust your meal times and eat in the airports. I also suggest that if you are going to eat in New York, do not wait until you get bused over to the Delta terminal...nothing there but a few overpriced sandwich shops and $4.00 bottles of water. Delta is FUSSY about the weight of your bag and I saw people trying to re-pack to get the weight to 50 lbs. so keep this in mind all you Delta passengers....Delta needs to get past all of this making money off the luggage and provide better customer service because they will lose cutomers over this!

We landed in San Juan (6:30 pm) and took the bus transfer to the port. (Be prepared for the warm, humid weather!) We boarded the boat, waited for the Muster Drill at 9:30 and then went to bed. There was a big party on the Lido Deck, but since we had been up so early, we went to bed, but not before meeting our wonderful room steward. She was a breath of fresh air after a long day of travel. Also, do not worry about eating that night. The Lido deck is full of food and the dining room was serving anyone and not the specific table assignments. It is busy on this night and can be a bit overwhelming if you have been traveling a lot on this day.

We awoke the next morning to St. Thomas. We ate on the the Lido deck because we like the quick buffet so we can get off the ship. I HIGHLY recommend eating on the Lido Deck towards the back of the ship. There is a pool and 2 hot tubs back there...and NO ONE is eating back there...I do not know why...there is an omlet bar and all you need. It is quiet and has beautiful views of every island every morning. You can sit in the shade or sunshine!

Monday....St. Thomas, Meagan's Bay

Tuesday...Day at Sea, Behind the Fun Tour....now I HIGHLY recommend this. We toured the ship, met the captain, saw the galley, saw a lot! Later that evening we received a plate full of sweets from the galley thanking us for the tour....we also got a picture of our group with the captain!

Wednesday...Barbados and Barbados Sailing with Capt. Ron...an excursion away from the ship. We only had 17 in total on our catamaran. I write more details on my cruise port review.

Thursday....St. Lucia and Cosole Tours...I highly recommend this!

Friday...St. Kitts and Royston Tours...I highly recommend this!

Saturday...now if you read this you need to do this and it was worth every bit of our money and taxi ride there...PINEL ISLAND.....if you go there it will be the highlight of your trip and you will do this whole cruise thing again...I guarantee!

Sunday....we did not have a flight until 4:35 pm so we did the only other excursion we did with the ship and that was a tour into the El Yunque Rainforest. Carnival took care of our luggage and our bus ride. They allowed us to have another day of vacation rather than sit in an airport.

Carnival disembarkation is a bit crazy...if I had to do this again I would not set our luggage out the night before. I would choose self-diembarkation. You will get off the boat earlier, but you must carry off your luggage. If you choose to have Carnival bring your luggage down then you will be given a tag and a number and then you wait for your tag number to be called. Then...when you get off the boat you will look for your number in a literal sea of luggage.....an everyone is trying to get their luggage and get in line to see the customs agent. It is OK, but self-disembarkation would have been easier.

We enjoyed the dance shows, the juggler (he was talented and funny), the magician (I haven't seen my husband laugh that hard in a long time!) and the times where we just sat and watched it all work together. Carnival wants to make this vacation for you...they try very hard and I believe that they are successful. This itinerary is "port heavy" which can be a little tiring. But each port is so unique, they may all be only a few miles from each other, but they offer different, beautiful aspects to your trip.

St. Thomas...beaches and white sand

Barbados....swimming with giant green sea turtles and flying fish

St. Lucia...so green and lush, the volcano and The majestic Pitons

St. Kitts...seeing the Caribbean meet the Atlantic Ocean and the black rocks and black sand

St. Maarten...dual owned and Pinel Island's beauty, WOW

I am going to tell you this, ignore the negative reviews you may have read about Carnival Victory...they are written by people who are expecting way too much. Our room stewards, waiters, omlet makers, clean-up-the-dishes people, people who vacumn the hallways daily are hard-working people and they make this boat wonderful. Do not regret that you have chosen Carnival Victory. She is a wonderful boat and is run by people who want to make this a memorable vacation for you. This was well worth our money.

Publication Date: 03/18/12