Caribbean Princess Cruise Review by sabrejobs: The Limping Princess

The Limping Princess

Sail Date: March 2012
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Embarkation: San Juan

Although I wouldn't consider St. Maarten "nowhere," that was the only port we got to see on this cruise. We stayed there 2 days and limped back to San Juan. The pluses were many: The food was really fine. Not super gourmet, but very good. No complaints there at all. The cabin was great; liked the balcony (see room review for more details). The steward and all the help were superb. I can't pronounce our cabin steward's name, but he was great; Don, the bar tender in the Churchill bar (smoker's bar), and Mirasol, the waitress there, were both exceptional. I love Princess and would definitely book them again. This was our 3rd cruise. Like all lines, they are not perfect.

Here's the cons: If you use wifi in the internet cafe, you are (more or less), properly charged. You will find wifi VERY SLOW and you pay for extra time you spend just waiting. AOL has the worse problems. They will make adjustments if you complain, but only to 50% once the charge is on the bill, so More make them as you go. IF YOU USE WIFI IN YOUR CABIN, you have to read the "red print." I have used it twice before so I didn't notice the "red print." It says something about TYPING IN 'LOGOUT.COM' in the browser to actually stop the charges AFTER YOU CUT OFF THE INTERNET CONNECTION. There is nothing to warn you of this that most sites would use. They should make you agree to this term before you sign on. Also, the internet connects BEFORE YOU CHOSE YOUR TYPE OF PACKAGE. If you take "pay as you go," this happens EACH TIME YOU LOG ON. You are paying before you can actually use it. JUST NOT RIGHT. I knew I wasn't going to use the internet much so I took "pay as you go " for $.75 per minute. I calculated I used it about 35-40 minutes (about $25-30). My bill was $188. I got it cut back 50% but that's still almost 3 times what it should have been. Buyer beware. Princess does things like this with tours, etc. You get no warning when you need to book 2 packages to get one tour, as in Beijing's transfer tours. They put the onus on your EVEN IF THEIR OWN AGENTS at 1800 PRINCESS tell you you only need one tour.

The other con is that they use EVERY OPPORTUNITY to sell you on anything from soda packages, coffee packages, shopping tours/discounts (for which they get a kickback), their high-priced tours, etc...always selling. Sometimes you feel like you are on the beach in Mexico or the Caribbean. I know they must make about 35% of the $$$ onboard, but it wears you out.

I was pleasantly surprised to find you didn't have to pay extra for pizza, fries, hot dogs, hamburgs, ice cream, etc. on the open deck or inside at the deluxe desserts at their gourmet coffee bar.

Also, some of their onboard shopping prices are really good. You should have some idea of the worth, but their sale items are generally very well priced and decent to excellent quality. They have gold, watches, jewelry, sunglasses, bags, shirts, blouses, skirts, dressy clothes (some surprisingly well priced), etc. Their outdoor movies are great. You can even see them during the sunny daytime.

The best thing Princess has going for them is their cruise itineraries. They save some $$$ by not having the best locations in port. Sometimes it's because of the size of the ship, but other times, it's simply to save $$$. Setting that aside, I often pick Princess because they truly do have interesting, diverse itineraries. Less

Read more Caribbean Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Caribbean Princess Review >>

Cabin review: Caribbean Princess Oceanview Double with Balcony Emerald C254

Cabin C254 is more forward than we are used to. I can't think of anything negative about the location or the cabin. It's a typical cabin with one of the largest decks, so about 5' of your deck is hidden from your above neighbors. The overall deck was about 10' x 9' where the average is half this size. I didn't care for the mat underfoot and it's very plain looking, not very romantic or attractive. I couldn't help but think I would love this in Europe where all the ports are nice and close to the ship. I wouldn't bother AT ALL in Asia. The ship (Diamond Princess) is so large it pulls into container ports...not a pretty view at all from your cabin or deck.

It's exceptional (so I have heard) for shopping. The people are nice, but like most islands now, there's a lot of poverty and everything's about making a buck as fast and often as possible. It's slightly jilted. We took the tour around the island. The Orient Beach is a zoo. The parking lot is dangerously crowded. Nudity to the right; regular to the left. Marigot was nice; wish it had a little more authentic French look to it, but it was pleasant...nice marinas, cute town...you only get 45 mins. there. The highlight was the Mayo Beach airport stop. Our driver timed it so we got to see a small jet fly in about 25' above our heads and then we saw a larger jet take off, leaving you feel like you had been in a hurricane...not a 747 but it was still a strange, exciting experience. The planes fly over the beach lower than anywhere else in the world that I know of. You can see them in You Tube. The only reason for the low rating on the shore excursions is their cost. Most are about 25-40% more than you can find elsewhere.