Carnival Elation Cruise Review by ZanesMom: Good Bargain for the Price but Lacking Substance

ZanesMom
Member Since 2012

Family & Children 1.0

Compare Prices on Carnival Elation Western Caribbean Cruises

Good Bargain for the Price but Lacking Substance

Sail Date: March 2012
Embarkation: New Orleans

I decided to take my 13 yoa son on his first cruise during spring break. We decided to leave from New Orleans which had me a little Concerned. However, the spring breakers were normal nothing out of the ordinary for a "party" cruise and the staff did well blending them with the families with children.

We arrived at the Erato terminal at 10:30 am and was promptly met with the luggage handlers and parked the car in the garage and caught the elevator down to the first floor. We were promptly swept thru the lines as we had filled out all of the boarding and sign and sail accounts online. We were among the first to board at 11:10 am. We went to the Lido deck and had lunch and signed my son up for the bottomless bubbles card. It was well worth the 37.80 they charged.

The buffets were okay, nothing great to speak of. Kind of reminded me of a Golden Corral buffet. However, the salad bar was always fresh and very well done. And I must say the pastry chefs on board More were phenomenal. Every dessert we had was excellent.

The dining room food was somewhat better but, having cruised other lines, I found it disappointing and lacking imagination. I had hoped to introduce my son new foods but, there was nothing other than escargot, that was new to him. Our waiter was attentive and informative regarding the ports we were going to be stopping at.

The room was what I had expected and our room steward was very good and kept our room tidy and well stocked with ice and fresh towels. I spoke with several of the service attendants and asked if they liked their jobs. They all stated, no they did not and they were sorely underpaid and little or no time off. However, they willingly made the sacrafices for their families back home.

Since my son was enjoying the Circle C, the 12 to 14 teen club, I was able to gamble at the casino at my leisure. I won quite a bit, however, I should warn the true blackjack players, this is not the typical casino crowd. Age 18 and up are allowed to play and most of the players did not know how to play, causing some frustration for those of us seasoned players.

I found shopping on the cruise very enjoyable. There were a variety of shops and prices were very reasonable even beating some of the prices on shore. The decor of the ship was beautiful and for a smaller vessel, it was very well done and the ship was easily managed with the elevators and stairs.

For the price, the cruise could not be beat. But if your looking for a quality cruise with more upscale dining and fellow passengers, this one is not for you. Less

Read more Carnival Elation cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Elation Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Elation Oceanview Empress U34

Upper Deck 34. The cabin was perfectly situated away from stairs and elevators. There was little traffic. The room was comfortable, bathroom was clean but small as expected. Plenty of closet room. Only one outlet but because I read the reviews here I knew to bring and power outlet.

Progresso!?! Ugh! Had I not been traveling with my son I would have stayed on the ship. I found it dirty, not much to talk about. The beaches were dingy and unkept. We did most of your tourist type shopping here. We did find the prices very inexpensive. We decided to go to a resort for the day at an all inclusive beach resort. Our definition and their definition of a resort are two different things. The pools were small, the beach extremely small, liquor quality was no name brands and the food was not at all appetizing. But, my son enjoyed the beach and having non alcoholic margaritas. Cozumel. Beautiful as always. My son and I dove at Jeanne's Beach Club. Our dive master was Antonio. He was wonderfully patient with my son and went the extra mile to make our dive outstanding. He found starfish, octopus, stingrays, conch and brought fish food to attract the tropical fish. It was the best part of the entire cruise. Thank you Antonio.
Read 285 Progreso Reviews