Carnival Destiny Cruise Review by kristensc: Carnival Destiny 3/5/12

Member Since 2012
1 Post

Carnival Destiny 3/5/12

Sail Date: March 2012

I was on board the Carnival Destiny headed for Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay and Nassau March 5, 2012. First, don't listen to people who complain about the ship being outdated. There is nothing wrong with the decor, it is a little like being in Vegas. I didn't notice any wear and tear in any part of the ship and our stateroom was clean, comfortable and very pleasant.
We had several 'bumps' in our trip. On day one we were 3-4 hours late leaving Miami due to a generator problem but maintenance took care of it and we were soon on our way. My only regret here is that my boyfriend (who was a first timer) did not get to see leaving Miami as we were at dinner. On days 2 & 3 we had high winds and rough seas which cancelled our docking at Grand Turk and then Half Moon Cay. This caused quite an uproar among guests who got huffy, created a nightmare line at Guest Services and all demanded compensation. We did recieve a refund on our port taxes for Grand Turk and a $40 per person credit for not More being able to dock at Half Moon Cay. One thing you should know and remember when cruising; your ports of call are subject to change or cancellation due to the weather. People on board our ship even blamed the Captain and crew for the high cases of sea sickness because he was "going too fast in choppy waters". Seriously people?
The crew aboard Destiny made our extra days on board flawless with lots of activities and fun things to occupy our time with. And if all else fails, lay by the pool and drink, it is a cruise after all!
I enjoyed the dining experience as well. You can try anything you like, as much as you like virtually anytime you like. I always had two appetizers, something from the main menu and the didja ever suggestion. This trip we tried escargot (not bad at all!) and alligator fritters (fabulous!). There is a reason why thier signature desert is the Chocolate Melting Cake, it is superb! My second favorite was the Bitter and Blanc. Room service is ok, allow 45 minutes from the time you order to receive. The buffets are generally good also. The lines aren't too long and there is quite a variety. Especially noteworthy is their potato salad and limoncello cake. The pizza is wonderful, hotdogs are ok, caesar salads are good and breakfast is yum! Try the omlette station (he gives more than 2 pieces of bacon too!), the danishes are awesome and even though the croissants aren't soft, they are still great!
There does seem to be a sewage type smell on the Riviera and Main Decks Aft, but it is not bad by any means unless you plan on getting a deck chair and camping there for the day, then it might get annoying.
All in all I enjoyed the Destiny and would absolutely sail on her again! James (our activities director) was AMAZING and well as employee of the month Bonez. I highly recommend this ship! Less

Read more Carnival Destiny cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Destiny Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Destiny Oceanview Riviera 1258

We had Stateroom 1258 on the Riviera deck and loved it. It was a much larger room than what I had on Royal Caribbean, 2 twin beds that push into a king, a very comfy couch, small table, 2 nighttables, 3 closets and a do-able bathroom. The water pressure in the show was awesome! While I used my own toiletries, they did have shampoo and shower gel in the shower in dispensers as well as mini toothpastes. Our room steward always made sure we had clean towels and things were tidy. I really loved the safe in the closet. It was a great feature! The only thing I would suggest Carnival do it upgrade the TV's. They are quite old and need to move on to flat screens.

This is my second time in Nassau. Leaving the ship is a breeze, as well as returning. The Straw Market is always a must hit area (they are no longer allowed to sell designer bags though which was a disappointment)but the Bahamian people are friendly and helpful. Several things to beware though. If anyone offers you a beaded necklace or braclet walking into the market, keep going. They will tell you it is free and that you will get a 55% discount from anyone who sees you wearing them and then ask you for a $5 donation for each one. I saw them try and pull this on several tourists, but it is crap. You get no discounts other than what you can haggle with the vendors (haggling is local tradition and custom). I was looking for Goldie's Conch Shack for lunch but ended up at Sharkeez. Highly recommend this place! They had the best cheeseburger I have ever eaten and possibly the best food I ate my entire cruise! Around the corner from Sharkeez is the Tortuga Rum Cake shop, pop in here for free samples and do try them. They are the BEST rum cake I have ever eaten wand ended up buying 3.
Read 2608 Nassau Reviews