Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review by abolanowski

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review by abolanowski
Oasis of the Seas
Entertainment Not Rated
        3-6 5.0
        7-9 5.0

Once was enough
We have been on family cruises once a year since we started having kids 7 years ago. We love Disney but also REALLY like RC and since RC is usually cheaper, we have cruised them more often, always on the Freedom Class ships. This time, we decided to try Oasis and found that it was just about as expensive as the (old) Disney ships, but we went with it anyway.

Embarkation was smooth as silk because our plane was late, so we didn't arrive at the port until 3pm. You could have heard a pin drop, it was deserted! We will probably intentionally show up late from now on!

Our cabins were nice (2 connecting balcony on 8 foreward) but they are smaller than the same cabins on FOS. Our room steward, Kathyann, was FABULOUS!!!! She really went above and beyond, and was always smiling and laughing.

We had "My Time" dining and we won't ever do that again. I suppose if you were going to be eating at vastly different times each night, it might be beneficial. For us, we always ate between 6 and 7 and would probably have been fine with the 630 seating. I have always liked having the same staff each night and so missed that aspect. In addition, some nights there were LONG waits even with reservations (made them online before the cruise) On our last night, our server was awful and we actually saw the next table over get up and leave because they weren't getting waited on in a reasonable time. The food was the same as it is on every RC cruise. Nothing was terrible and nothing really stood out. We did dine at 150 Central Park one night and it was a very nice dining experience. I particularly liked the flavored salts that they served with the bread. The food was good, but not to-die-for good.

I can't comment on the shows as we never went to one.

The ports are the same old, same old. Labadee was nice, DD7 went to the kids club for the morning and I hung out on the beach. We skipped Jamaica (DD3 was not feeling well) and in Cozumel we went to Paradise Beach Club which was really nice - great beach, nice facilities and great customer service. The food was good but overpriced and the drinks were weak AND overpriced! LOL

Both kids loved the carousel, DD7 climbed the rock wall and loved it. Both went to the kids club and we were very happy with the staff and activities there.

The only thing that was unique about this ship was the Carousel and Central Park, both of which I really liked. But the ship was huge and it was kind of a pain to get to the kids pool from our cabin, then have to hike back across to the kids club, then hike back across to the buffet, then back across to the adults area (you get the idea). And with the slightly smaller cabins, I don't see any reason why I won't be returning to the Freedom Class ships for future cruises.

Of note, Ft Lauderdale airport IS NOT equipped to deal with the crowds from these huge ships and it was a nut-house on Saturday trying to leave. HUGE lines at checkin and security. I won't fly through there again unless they expand.

Publication Date: 03/17/12