Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review by travelforsure

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review by travelforsure
Oasis of the Seas
Oasis of the Seas
Member Name: travelforsure
Cruise Date: February 2012
Cabin Category: D8
Public Rooms 5+

FANTASTIC SHIP WITH LOTS TO DO!
I was recently on the Oasis of the Seas for a corporate event. I usually have cruised on smaller ships so was a bit uneasy going on such a huge ship. I read the reviews before boarding and they helped very much. Many of my friends are "cruise snobs" and only like the smaller luxury lines and turned up their noses when I told them I was going on the Oasis. Upon boarding, I quickly laughed at them all! This ship was truly magnificent! I am not afraid of large groups, as a matter of fact I like a larger group, more to look at and you don't have to see the same people over and over again!

Reading the reviews and ship information was very helpful before I set sail. I learned about the dining options and entertainment and lots of tips from previous travelers, so thanks!

I have to say, this was a fantastic cruise ship. The ship is the destination as the ports are really nothing to write about. From the moment you drop your luggage off at the curb, everyone was helpful, nice and welcoming, it was great. I really didn't know what to expect with such a huge ship, but everything about it was great! Passing through security was a breeze and boarding was delightful. Upon entering the ship, it is a bit overwhelming as it really is BIG. But so well laid out and planned it was a pleasure. I had booked a balcony ocean room which was very nice on the 10th deck. It was well appointed (smaller than a ship like Regent) but adequate. The bathrooms are really small and storage space is pretty limited. The bed was very comfortable and the cabin service was excellent, anything I needed was there as soon as you asked for it.

Dining on the ship was fantastic. There are so many choices and the food everywhere was excellent. I was very surprised that on a ship this big and with this many passengers that the food was SO good. Fresh choices and lots of them, all served in a beautiful presentation with very friendly staff. I tried many of the dining venues including a few of the extra charge places and they were all good. The Windjammer cafe was always excellent with so much to choose from. The Park Cafe was delightful and there was always something to eat somewhere. The snack bar on the youth deck was always pretty crowded but other than that the dining places were great. The cafe in the spa was excellent with wonderful healthy choices every day.

The entertainment was some of the best I have ever seen at sea! Hairspray was terrific, Come fly with me was great, the Aqua Theater presentations fantastic! Even the comedy club and improve places were fun, there was always something to do.

What I liked best about this ship is that there were always so many choices of things to do and places to be. You could walk around, watch a show, eat something, choose from so many activities, all were great!

Disembarkation was SO easy also! I actually carried my luggage off myself and left the ship at 7AM and was in the parking lot at 7:20, so easy and problem free. All in all this was a terrific cruise and I would recommend it to anyone who likes to do many things and always have something to do. Even if you want to do nothing at all, there are great places to be.

I did book the ships tour ($150) and it was really fun and for me, well worth it. I enjoyed seeing all the "back rooms" of the ship and the bridge, etc. It was a great tour and fun to see how such a big ship runs.

Now, just a few comments of "less than perfect". The WiFi was really bad on the ship and was very expensive. Actually a rip off! It often didn't work and the charges really added up very quickly because it was so slow. It almost seemed like they did it on purpose to add to your charges. For such a modern ship in the 21st century, shame on Royal Caribbean! The room service menu was pretty limited (only omelets for breakfast, no choice of eggs) and the food was pretty much always cold. That was a big disappointment as I enjoy a nice breakfast in my cabin in the morning. My last negative comment is the 100% single supplement charge. I enjoy traveling alone and you have to pay for 2 so that was a huge annoyance. I understand the business side of having passengers but I found that really just gouging.

This would be a great ship to take a big family group on or a reunion group as there are so many things for everyone to do!

All in all a fantastic ship (not so great ports), great staff, great entertainment and great food.

Publication Date: 03/15/12