Carnival Dream Cruise Review by sclandry

Cruise Date: February 2012
Embarkation: Port Canaveral
Cabin Category: 9A
Dining 5+

The Carnival Dream was no Dream!
First I will start by saying I am not a complainer and love tjhe have fun. Thought the Dream was less then I exprected, my family and I still enjoyed the islands and some nice staff we encountered. As our first cruise I learned alot from talking with other seasoned cruisers aboard the ship. Many telling us not to judge cruising by this cruise. They felt the food(buffet)) was cold and lineups too long at peak points in the day. This is not the case apparently when aboard other lines. I heard great things about Royal Carribean's Oasis and allure ships.

So our experience- right off the bat it was evident our rooms were a nightmare, we were right below the lido deck under the smoking section. There was no smoke smell but we listed to loud scraping chairs 24-7, we slept maybe 4 hrs a night.I was very clear with my travel agent, knowing we were below the lido deck I wanted to ensure we would not hear above noise- she checked and was told no we would not! Well we sure did- It was the equlivalant of nails on a chalkboard. They did give us a $400 credit but truthfully you could not have given me that room for free. We were with family and they had the two rooms beside me- they were in the same boat as us. The ship was full and they could not change us. The maddening thing is how deceitful Carnival is on these rooms. They are well aware of the problem and deal with it each week but do nothing to inform the travel agents and others that these are "noisy rooms" I guess they need a certain amount of complaints for this, what 3000? To me we have been back 3 weeks and since then 2 sets of suckers like ourselves had had to deal with this. Apparently they have tried many solutions to no avail and they will not close off that area due to the 24hr pizza area above us. How about some tennis balls then- no too unsightly. Oh and lets talk about the ride-on-cleaner they do the floors with as early as 5:30pm and as late as 1am, it's like a jetliner above your head. Good times! I guess if you are drunk and passed out, no issues! That was not us.

The bartenders on the Lido deck very stern and unfriendly to all, never have any eye contact- I have never met such unfriendly bartenders in all my life. Now the staff waiting on lounge cvhairs were great, very friendly and fun, not sure what the heck happens when you get behind the bar- they were mainly russian while the lido wait staff were Philipino and Thai- really enjoyed them! Also a shout out to our room Stewar Jenny- what a sweety, we brought her a gift from home and tipped at the end, she sure desrved it. As well our restaurant waitress was supberb my daughter loved her, she greated us every night with a smile and hug, she even cut my 9 yr old daughter meet- we miss you Wanpen!

The buffet food could be cold and the lineups a pain at peak times, however you discover less lines as you leave the lido deck- try deck 5.

Thats my two cents, someday I will cruise again but never Carnival, I will look to Royal Carribean- I heard nothing but great things from the seasoned cruisers.

Publication Date: 03/14/12