Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by rmitcheltree5001

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by rmitcheltree5001
Celebrity Summit
Celebrity Summit
Member Name: rmitcheltree5001
Cruise Date: March 2012
Embarkation: San Juan
Destination: Southern Caribbean

Our first cruise
We arrived in San Juan on March 1st and stayed 2 nights at the Intercontinental in Isla Verde. The hotel was great, staff was friendly, and the pool grounds were beautiful. Only complaint was the drink prices at the resort. We had four Pina Coladas on day at the pool bar and it was like $51.00..Now doing some research we expected this so we budgeted to have fun. If the drinks are too much for you just go buy your own alcohol at a local store like many people did. We only ate at the hotel once for dinner at the beach bar and had a pizza which was good and only 14.00. We also visited Lupis mexican grill(I think that was the name) wich was good..and also went to 101 sports bar wich I loved the wings. After meeting some new friends on cruise c

ritic we met at the lobby bar in the hotel for a pre-meet. We had a good time and decided to meet for breakfast at mi casita?? Was very nice and basically right across the street from the hotel. After breakfast we gathered our things and shared a cab to port.

Embarkation: We arrived at port around 11:30am..was a bit of a line but we were inside the terminal in less than an hour and were on the ship by 12:30 having our first drink.

Ship: Once on the ship the other two couples that we met have been on the summit before so it was nice of them to take us on a tour of the ship showing us the changes they have made. We loved it. We have seen pictures of the solstice class ships and yes they are amazing but we loved this ship.

Room: When they announced our rooms were ready my wife and I decided to go check it out. We stayed in cabin 9193 wich was a concierge class and I was worried about people saying how there is no room for stuff and the bathroom is small but we had no problem putting our stuff away and having plenty of room. We loved this room and trying to book it again now.

Dining: Ok so here we go. We ate in the Main dining room every night except one. I will say the food was not excellent but ok. The good thing is if you didn't like a dish you ordered simply tell your waiter and try something else. This is no problem as they are there to make you happy. We can not say enough about the wait staff. They were excellent and they will be missed. Our head waiter Menino was great and the assistant waiter Mustafa was awesome! I don't understand how some passengers act like the staff is there slaves. I couldn't believe it. I guess cause we work in the food industry we are very understanding. We did auto tips and we still tipped our wait staff extra for making it so enjoyable. One night we visited Qsine with a group and all I can say is WOW! well worth the experience. Go hungry as we were there for almost 4 hours.

Entertainment: Honestly we didn't make one show. We were either in the casino or hanging out on the pool deck or one of the bars. The stuff we did see I guess was on par for cruise ships but I think thats what made it fun.

Drink Package: We decided to get the premium drink package and we are glad we did. I am pretty sure we at least broke even wich I liked so I didn't get sticker shocked at the end of our trip. I have heard a lot of people complain about the package so hear is my experience. In the dining room I ordered a glass of wine. When asked did I have the drink package I said yes so he left the whole bottle for me and said enjoy..this happened every time I ordered wine. Now for the bars we only had one issue when trying to order 2 beers and a bottle of water. when we were told we could only get two drinks I said we will go somewhere else then and then he gave us the bottle of water..Overall we had no problems. We found a favorite bartender we liked and tipped him a bit extra here and there and he gave us anything we wanted. one night heading to bed we asked johan if we could get a water and diet coke..he gave us 3 giant waters and 3 diet cokes..we drank there so often he had us in the computer so we didn't even have to give him our card..He will be missed he was great..hope to see him again.

Disembarkation: This wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. we decided to do a tour so we were off the ship around8:15..met are tour guide and off we went..toured old san juan and new san juan..then he took us to a local beach with food shacks lined up for lunch. He had to translate for us as nobody spoke english..this was the highlight of our trip. the food was awesome. we had crab and rice with beans..after lunch we headed to the airport. our luggage had not yet arrived so we had to wait about 20 min. went through USDA inspection and then checked in our flight. Security line was LONG and took about hour and a half to get through. Next time I will stay overnight but you learn as you go I guess.

Overall: We had a blast and would do it again. There wasn't any screaming kids everywhere..actually we could probably count on both hands how many kids we saw. No crazy drunks everywhere, not a crazy party atmosphere..If you want a lively ship that goes all night then celebrity is not for you. If you want to have a layed back vacation but still have a little fun than this is for you and thats why we loved it.

Publication Date: 03/14/12