Azura Cruise Review by Helen Watson: Fab flight

0 Post

Fab flight

Sail Date: February 2012
Embarkation: Barbados

We booked this cruise last minute & had to fly from Gatwick which is a 4 hr drive from us, if we went again to the Carribean i would book earlier to get a more local flight. the journey is long but it wasn't a problem the chartered flight was great, the service brilliant & not having to collect cases at the airport was very nice.

Our cabin was brill,we were a bit disappointed with the ship as it is a carbon copy of Ventura & the Grand Princess why they build them all the same I don't know even the carpets were identical. we have travelled with P&O 3 times and sadly we think that the service & food is not as good as it was on the other 2 trips. they are cutting corners & its a shame as it is so petty its irritating. You can no longer automatically have prawn cocktails & steaks if you don't fancy anything on the evening menu. At the 6.30 time slot there was a lot of empty tables, we were on a table for 6 & no-one joined us so we asked to be moved after 4 nights. The choice of More lunchtime food in the buffet was very repetitive & I thought there salad was limp & unappealing. I found that the waiters in the buffet were surly & unhelpful . I completed a survey that was left in my cabin and rated the service in the restaurant as ok. the next evening the deputy manager/headwaiter came to our table and interrograted me in an aggressive manner about my comments, he was hacked off that i didn't put a higher rating for the service. my fellow diners were "gobsmacked" as we say up north at the way he spoke to me.I think he was totally out of line & had no right to query my comments in public. it wasn't that i had said service was bad its just acceptable. Our main waiter wasn't chatty he looked grumpy most nights, he did his job ok, I think we saw a difference as the waiter on the first empty table we had was a really happy guy & it was lovely to see him each night.

The ports we called at were smashing except for 2 of them.

The entertainment on board is one of the main reasons we cruise & we weren't disappointed its really good. Some fab dance shows & great comedians Martin Martinez from Cuba was the highlight of cruise.

We had a lovely holiday with plenty to do & see & some lovely meals, but standards of service on this ship are nowhere near as good as on the Princess line...but then drink is more expensive on Princess with a very irritating 15% service charge. So its swings & roundabouts isnt it. We had a problem a couple of days before the end of the cruise and it was dealt with swiftly & by insisting on speaking to the passenger services manager it had a satisfactory outcome. We will deffo cruise with P&O again as despite my gripes its a brilliant way to holiday.There is one thing I'd like to suggest that ships have a hireshop on board for wheelchairs & gents tuxedos...just incase you forget the jacket!& please consider cheaper trips they really are expensive. Less

Read more Azura cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Azura Review >>

Cabin review: Azura Inside Stateroom B Deck P340

Our Cabin was the best we have ever had it was spacious very well equipped, a good location in the centre of the ship with easy access to lifts etc. it had a couple of strange noises at night but then all cabins seem to creak or something it didnt disturb us.even tho it was next to the Atrium we didnt hear noise. I would request the cabin should i go on this ship again. It had a wet room which was absolutly brilliant & made my trip so easy I have a disbility & everything in this bathroom was just erfect for me.

we went by mini bus to the nearest beach which was just stunning it was what you imagine a Caribbean beach to be, it wasn't busy but there was a small bar & toilets, the cruise ship charges £22 to take you here, provide a sunbed & a drink it was $3 each way in the minibus $5 for a sunbed & a beer $4 so you do the maths! total relaxation..it feels as tho the world has stopped ...bliss. taxi back was funny with our driver singing to us all the way back.
Read 808 Antigua Reviews

There are shops & beaches within a 10minute taxi ride, prices are mostly shown in barbadian dollars which are 2 to one american dollar, beware that change for american dollars will often be given in local currency.
Read 707 Barbados Reviews

I didn't like this island the ship was berthed near a fish market. it didnt help that it rained when we were here, if i came here again i would either stay on the ship or take a trip.
Read 491 Dominica Reviews

loved it the beach is right by the ships berth, rather dilapidated sun beds are free, theres plenty of fish to see if you snorkel & an anchor & cannon. the purpose built cruise centre has lovely swimming pools a livley bar & a selection of duty free shops. you can look forward to very relaxing beach day here.

beaches easy to access by taxi, it was very windy so the sea was too rough but it would be lovely on a good day.

One of my favourite stops as the beach is right by the water taxi stop. you can take a water taxi from the ships berth to the town centre/beach where you will find crystal clear water to swim in glorious sandy beaches & the best selection of shops & bars. If you are going to buy pressies or duty free you won't find things any cheaper on other islands, we got a litre bottle of Baileys for $12 here. the water taxi cost $6 return in 2012.

horrible.... the walk to the town is thru a very rough looking area the type of place you would never set foot in at home. I don't know why the ships dock here. i wouldnt go on shore here ever again unless it was a trip.there was a small tourist boat to the beach which may have been nice but again it was raining so not a beach day. he wanted $15 for a return visit to the beach

We went on a local island tour with a 1 hr beach stop , there is lots of these converted 4 wheel drive vehicles at the port its $20 each but if you walk out of the port the guys parked along the rd will do the trip for £15, it was a good trip a bit scary at times on the steep hills, the beach was lovely with loads of pelicans fishing there. at the port itself theres a few market stalls
Read 502 Tortola Reviews