Zuiderdam Cruise Review by LeenyDLD

Member Name: LeenyDLD
Cruise Date: February 2012
Destination: Panama Canal & Central America
Cabin Category: L
See More About: Zuiderdam Cruise Reviews | Panama Canal & Central America Cruise Reviews | Holland America Cruise Deals
Dining 5+

Ship Facts: Zuiderdam Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Zuiderdam Deck Plans
Enough food for an Army, and CLEAN !
I was pleasantly surprised at the organization of 1900+ passengers in little time. The staff was very pleasant, and remained so during our entire trip. The staff was constantly cleaning SOMETHING - even taking dental floss to the handrails to get in the tiny areas. Only had one issue - the refrigerator. It didn't work for the first six days. We called the first two, then started visiting the front desk. Finally a mechanic showed up that did not speak any English (the only thing he did was turn down our room thermostat to the coldest setting ?!?). We finally went down to the front desk again and asked to speak to a manager (which we had to ask several times before the clerk got the hint). The manager spoke English very well - and was quite upset with the way our case had been handled (although we had been calling, it wasn't considered a 'complaint' - huh ? We wouldn't call to tell you it's working, have a nice day). The non-English speaking mechanic came back again within 2 hours and replaced the refrigerator with a working one. Problem solved - and should have been handled the FRIST day, not the SIXTH. And yes, he turned down our room thermostat to freezing again.

The food - prepare yourself for a feast ! The food is delicious, wonderful and non-stop. I didn't have one bad meal. My husband only complained of one - and that was a burger that seemed to be of the frozen variety at the grill. Everything else seemed to be super fresh.

The spa/gym - we took advantage of a special they offered, and it was great (for me at least) - my masseuse was friendly, my husband's was not. We also couldn't get into the sauna due to too many other guests using it at the time. I took advantage of the gym - only TWO elliptical machines ? PLEASE ! I DID use the arc trainer & they worked well, as no matter WHAT time I went - I could never get one of the ellipticals (even at 6AM open).

Entertainment - take advantage of the specials & shows for a laugh ! Island Magic is fantastic (Steel Drum band) Charlie Jourdan (acoustic guitar) various comedy shows. Also the theatre is nice for a movie (it IS small - go early !) the chairs are HUGE and overstuffed.

Excursions - very nice ! All were well organized & professional (that WE were on - we did hear of some that DIDN'T go well) We especially liked Half Moon Cay & Curacao.

Publication Date: 03/14/12