Mariner of the Seas Cruise Review by koholadad

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Mariner of the Seas Cruise Review by koholadad
Mariner of the Seas
Mariner of the Seas
Member Name: koholadad
Cruise Date: February 2012
Embarkation: Galveston
Cabin Category: K
See More About: Mariner of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Western Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals
Member Rating   5+ out of 5+
        3-6 5+
Shore Excursions 5+
Value-for-Money 5+
Rates 5+

Fantastic Caribbean Experience
We drove to Galveston from Wichita Kansas About 9 hours. When we got to the area it was pretty late. We stopped at the Motel 6 along the road into town. the rooms were very small, but had every thing we needed, a good warm up for life in a cruise cabin. the staff at the motel were very friendly and helpful and the cost was only $39+tax. we would stay there again.

Sunday we woke up refreshed and ready for for a week of fun and relaxation. we got to the dock at about 12 noon. It was a little confusing, but we found the luggage drop off and were directed to parking. We had pre-paid at the port of Galveston parking lot and had no problems with that, in fact we were directed to covered parking way down close to the ship this mad it very easy to find our car after the cruise.

I was a little nervous about embarkation because my wife is a permanent resident instead of a U.S. citizen but again, no problems by 1:20 we were on the ship. we made our way to the Windjammer and when we were done eating our room was ready. When we saw it our first impression was that we packed way too much! We got situated with our carry on bag and went for a little tour of the ship. the ship is unbelievable my three year old son was awestruck as was I. we then enrolled our son in the adventure ocean program which started on Monday. When we got back to the cabin our bags were there about 5:00. We found that there is far more storage in the room then there appears to be and all of our stuff packed away nicely. Our bags cradled together and hid away under the bed and we followed the advice found on cruise critic about taking a over the door shoe organizer for all of our little items that would otherwise have been cluttering up the cabin. Our cabin attendant Randell was exceptional he worked our schedule toddler naps and all--Thank you.

We ate most of our meals breakfast and dinner in the MDR. We thought the food and service was very nice. The food isn't like, Wow this is the best thing I have ever eaten but the excellent service and attention to detail given by Morris and Robert more than made up for it and don,t get me wrong the food was very good. Peach soup-awesome, Seafood salad-awesome Tempura mahi-mahi-totally awesome. the attention given to my son was unsurpassed he had a wonderful time.

Adventure ocean program--WOW!!!! what more can I say my son had an absolutely fabulous time he never wanted to leave.

On-board activities---We thought the shows were great fun we went to the 8:30 show almost every night. The people we met on board were all very nice. we attended evening trivia almost every night and went to the late shows a few times.

It is unbelievable how hard the staff on the ship work to make the experience a memorable one. Thank you all

We will definitely do this again.

Oh yeah the ports...

Cozumel---We went on our own to Chankanaab we loved the jungle trail, and the sea lion show, we even saw some iguanas and it was fun watching the visitors swim with the dolphins. If my son was older we would have done that as well.

we had lunch there very tasty. My son really enjoyed the kids beach but his feet are tougher than mine a little rock for my taste but fun anyway.

Grand Cayman--we took a taxi to the public beach it was very crowded so we walked a bit down the beach and ended up at Tiki Beach soft sand beautiful water perfect I snorkeled--Wow perfect day at the beach next time I will do the all inclusive ship excursion to Tiki beach. we ate at the restaurant there very good but very expensive.

drum role please...

Jamaica mon--- We did the Irie Mon all inclusive excursion from the ship this was the best excursion of the trip..friendly, no big pressure shops, delicious beach bbq love that jerk pork but, have a bottle of water handy. My wife got a massage on the beach the water was perfect lockers, showers, drinks, drinks did I say drinks not a huge selection but the coconut rum and pineapple juice hit the spot. for $99 a day we are thinking of moving here permanently.

Back to port--A little chaotic but go figure. 3500 people with 2 and a half bags each going through customs, and parking too far to carry your own luggage. I have to say, I was impressed even if I was a little tired of waiting it in no way spoiled the great time we had on this wonderful trip.

the fact that I am doing this review from work puts the minor wait at the port into perspective.

Thanks---koholadad