Freedom of the Seas Cruise Review by Ohiocruiser: Our Wonderful Cruise On The Freedom

Ohiocruiser
Member Since 2003

Compare Prices on Freedom of the Seas Western Caribbean Cruises

Our Wonderful Cruise On The Freedom

Sail Date: March 2012
Embarkation: Other

I love reading the reviews here, so when I cruised, I wanted to thank those who wrote them by writing mine.
This was our 6Th cruise, five of them with RCCL and one with Celebrity.This cruise was myself and my daughter, who actually surprised me with this cruise in honor of me being cancer free for three years!
We flew in a day early and stayed at the Hyatt right at the airport. We had a nice room overlooking the inside of the airport terminal. The beds were very comfortable, so we were well rested to start our cruise.
I reserved a private car from Omega Transportation, and they picked us up and the assigned time, and they also picked us up after the cruise just as requested. Both drivers were kind and funny, and I liked the fact that we were not herded like cattle into the shuttles. To me, paying a little extra was worth it for us.
EMBARKMENT was a breeze. We got to the port around 11:30 and were actually on board about 15 minutes later. Being Platinum status really More does have it's perks.We went up to the Windjammer and had our first lunch aboard. Our room was ready at 1:00PM so we went there next. We have always had interior rooms, and this cruise was the same. Since this was going to be a shopping cruise for us, the extra money saved meant that we could bring lots more back!
We unpacked and began exploring this wonderful ship. Never being on this class of ships before, I think they are now our favorite.
We started out with four couples at our table, but in the end only 2 couples were there pretty much every day. We had wonderful table mates from England who were doing a back to back cruise. Our waiter was not the most friendly, which was a first for us. I actually look forward to eating in the main dinning room, I have always enjoyed the attention that the wait staff provides. Having said that, our head waiter was just so so. I thought as the week went on it would be better, but sadly it was not. The assistant waiter however, sort of made up for the other. He was always happy, and providing the best service every day. It was almost sad to see him making up for the way the other waiter was. Did this ruin the cruise for us, no but it was sad at seeing how the other tables wait staff was interacting with their tables.
While on the subject of the dining room, the food has actually gone downhill a little bit. While everything we ate was good, some nights I actually had to choose between 3-4 main courses that were not very exciting. We loved the pizza and sandwiches in Sorrento's. We ate at Johnny Rockets one day, and loved that.We took a cupcake decorating class at the Cupcake Cupboard. It cost $22.00 each, was it really worth it, probably not but we did have fun doing it together. We had the main seating, and it was really crowed in the dining room.I cannot say enough about the wonderful captain we had, captain Rob Hempstead. We loved, loved his updated every day. His sense of dry humor has to be heard to be fully appreciated. And let me say, he was everywhere on the ship, greeting and answering everyone's questions and concerns. This cruise was his last before he left on a 10 week vacation, and we are so glad that we got to meet this wonderful gentleman! That being said, our cruise director Graham Seymore was also the best that we ever had. His daily morning update had my daughter and myself in stitches every morning. We could not wait to tune into it every day. And I can only say that it got more funny as the week went on. This ship is very lucky to have these two on board. I must say that this is by far the most friendly cruise staff that we ever had. We never passed a crew member the whole cruise that did not say hello or speak to us. And I do mean every one we met.
The highlight of our cruise however happened in the port of Falmouth. We actually were there when Prince Harry came to visit. My daughter turned into a paparazzi taking all of the pictures. He was so close we actually could have touched him. The whole port turned into little kids screaming and clapping for him. It was refreshing to see him truly touched by all of the attention given to him .
All in all the cruise was so wonderful we actually signed up for another. Less

Read more Freedom of the Seas cruise reviews >>