Caribbean Princess Cruise Review by cruiserfromalabama

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Caribbean Princess Cruise Review by cruiserfromalabama
Caribbean Princess
Caribbean Princess
Member Name: cruiserfromalabama
Cruise Date: September 2011
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Destination: Canada & New England
See More About: Caribbean Princess Cruise Reviews | Canada & New England Cruise Reviews | Princess Cruise Deals
Member Rating   5+ out of 5+
Dining 5+
Public Rooms 5+
Shore Excursions 5+
Value-for-Money 5+
Rates 5+

37th Anniversary Celebration to Canada and New England
For our anniversary this year we wanted to travel up the east coast and see a little of Canada and New England. We have traveled to many Caribbean Islands and Mexico several times during the summertime, so we wanted to see how it was to travel in the early fall. We are from Alabama and love meeting people from all over the world. This was our first cruise with Princess and it will not be our last one as we are already planning another Alaska cruise next year. I was a little worried when I read cruiser reviews about this trip, but I am opened minded enough to know that all people's expectations are not the same. A week before our cruise we found out that we had been upgraded to a Junior Suite, so now we are quite spoiled and don't want to stay in any other staterooms except Junior Suites. We had a early flight out of B'ham and got into NYC around 11:00am. We met the Princess Rep. at the baggage claim and then had a 2 hour wait for a bus to Red Hook Port due to 9/11 anniversary events and tightened security. We finally got to port, luggage was taken, and boarding was extremely easy and painless. We were shown to our suite and greeted by our steward with glasses of champagne. Loved, loved, loved our suite and we were amazed by the room size and closet space. Our steward showed us to the muster drill in the Wheelhouse Lounge and I loved having a drill inside rather than standing outside in the heat. We opted for early dining in the Coral Dining Room and we really enjoyed the meal choices and had wonderful servers. For our anniversary, we chose "The Crowne Grill" and the food was wonderful with unbelievable service. A special cake was brought to our table as an anniversary celebration and it was so delicious. We also ate at the specialty Italian restaurant and it was great as well. I would recommend both these dining options to everyone as being well worth the cover charge.

The first full cruise day was a day of cruising and we really enjoyed getting a day to relax and get a lay of the ship. Breakfast was taken in the Coral Dining Room and we really enjoyed sharing it with a couple from Australia and a couple from Miami. Lunch was also in the dining room and food was great as well. The next day we docked in Halifax, Nova Scotia and instantly feel in love with this port. We booked a tour to Peggy's Cove through Princess and it was an extremely interesting and beautifully scenic tour. We walked all over the cove and had delicious hot gingerbread with lemon sauce. A lobster gender demonstration was really fun! After the tour, my husband and I walked all up and down the port water walk and visited the many shops.

The next port was Saint John, New Brunswick and as we got into port it was a thickly foggy day. We opted to take another Princess tour of the Bay of Fundy and the sea caves. We had a lunch at the Sea Caves Restaurant and had some the best seafood chowder I have ever had. Toured the area and got some beautiful pictures of the covered bridges. The tour took us back to town and we got to visit the market.

Bar Harbor, Maine was our next port and we had a tender into the port. We took another ship tour to the Acadia National Park and lunch at the Bar Harbor Club. Loved this tour so much and loved the lobster boil lunch after touring the National Park. Bar Harbor is a quaint little harbor town and the shops were fun to visit. I loved hearing the shop clerks accents and one man laughed at my southern drawl.

Boston was our next port and we took a bus tour of the city. We were let off at the market after seeing the North Church, Harvard, and other city sites. We had a nice lobster roll and bisque at one of the pubs.

Newport, Rhode Island was our last stop and it was a tendered port as well. This was a beautiful town and the harbor has many shops and places to eat along the waterfront. As you are tendered in, the harbor is full of all sizes of boats and yachts. One of the prettiest ports I have ever seen with beautiful houses on cliffs and little islands every where. We took a Princess tour of the Breakers and the Marble houses and throughly enjoyed it.

This was a wonderful trip and I loved the Caribbean Princess as well. We met a lot of people and fell in love with New England. The service was great and everyone was extremely pleasant. The shows were good and activities were as well. I will never forget our first Princess Cruise and can't wait to take another.

Publication Date: 03/11/12