Carnival Glory Cruise Review by cruisinmimiof3: Valor still good, but sliding

cruisinmimiof3
Member Since 2011

Compare Prices on Carnival Glory Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Valor still good, but sliding

Sail Date: February 2012

I have been on the Legend and the Glory. I can see some changes that carnival is making. They are apparently trying to cut costs, like a lot of people are in this economy. They have cut down on bands and are going with DJs instead. The food has not changed much, same burgers and nuggets on the Lido deck. No more midnight buffet! There seems to be tons of Bingo now. The service was terrific! From the room Steward to the MDR staff, everyone went above and beyond, and got extra tips! Yes, I prepay but if they earn it, they get it.

Embarkation was great, we were on board within an hour of getting to the port. Staff at the port were all knowledgable and friendly.

The cruise director-Big Sexy-was not annoying. He did the morning announcement and the afternoon one. It was nice that he was not on the PA system all day telling us about this sale and that sale.

The food in the MDR was yummy! I had something different every night and I was never More disappointed. My nehpew-age 26- was disappointed one night with his flat iron steak. And of course the chocolate melting cake was top notch. We had a birthday-a 12 yo-on our trip. The MDR staff were great helping us with table decorations, delivering the cake, singing to her, and they brought her some funny shades and made ears with a napkin. They made her birthday dinner!

The rooms we had, 2 balconies and one oceanview, were all very nice. The stewards did an excellent job taking care of us, remembering all our names, leaving extra chocolates, ice constantly, and we asked to have extra sheets left so we could make up the couch for the bday girl to spend the night with us, and we came back and they had made it up for us.

the comedians were hit or miss, one night was riot and the next night they had changed out comedians and it was pretty lame. did not see many live bands, only on Lido and in the Turquiose bar and the lounge in the hall by the casino. The rest were DJs, or the piano bar.

Wherever we went, we saw staff cleaning everything from railings, to drapes, to elevators, they really want a clean ship! which is nice.

I did book a private party for CC Roll Call and they did a great job with that!

Debarking was smooth. I was not aware they had changed it so that if you had anything larger than an airline carry on, you could not do self assist debarkation.

We booked our shuttle with SAS and he was great. Within 5 minutes of calling him after customs, he was at the curb waiting for us. Less

Read more Carnival Glory cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Glory Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Glory Balcony Upper 6288

6288-I was concerned having a bar below us. Those concerns were not realized, we never heard a thing. We had people in our group next door in 6292 and we asked Oscar, the steward to open the balcony up so we could share a big one, and he did it that first day. It was great. The rooms were clean and comfy.

Dune Buggy

(5)
The only reason this was not a 5+ was because the guide buggy kept stalling out, and it wasted some of our time. It was not his fault, but the company should make sure the equipment is up to functioning correctly. The guide, Barry was great, very knowledgable about the islands. We stopped on ahill and had an amazing view of the coast, some other islands, and Barry told us all about them. We went to a lighthouse on the other side of the island, we got the history of the islands, the lighthouse, and had a great trip. At the lighthouse they came and changed out the guide's ride so it was better after that. Just remember down there, as Barry stated, "the left side is the right side and the right side is suicide".

It was warm with palm trees. I think this port is maybe the "has been" because it seemed dirty and not much to do. We walked around, did a little shopping, went to the Queens Staircase, and the fort above it. Both were neat, got some great pics.
Read 2662 Nassau Reviews

It seemed too built up to be an "island." We walked around, went to San Cristobal fort, which amazing! That place is huge with breathtaking views! We had a ball at Senor Frogs! It was a nice port, just not the typical island idea that I have in mind.
Read 1376 San Juan Reviews

Coral World Tour

(5)
The helmut dive was at Coral World so we just spent most of the day. they have pools of turtles, sharks and other fish that you can swim with as well as the helmut dive. they have a snack bar, showers, and reef exhibit. It was a nice place.

Helmet Dive

(5)
this was the best excursion I have ever done on any of my 3 cruises. It was just amazing! If you can walk down a ladder, and hold a railing, do this tour! You do not swim at all. they have a railing around a course under water about 15 feet. The current pushes you around fairly hard, so you do need to hold the railing. They have a diver in there with you to make sure you are fine, a camera man taking pics and video's and the guide. We bought the USB drive with the pics and video and they are amazing. The guide handed us sea creatures to hold. It was amazing, just do it.