Carnival Elation Cruise Review by YellowSquash: Carnival Elation March 2012 - Loved it

YellowSquash
Member Since 2012

Compare Prices on Carnival Elation Southern Caribbean Cruises

Carnival Elation March 2012 - Loved it

Sail Date: March 2012
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Embarkation: New Orleans

My first time cruise! I was a little concerned after I read some of the reviews. I was not sure what to expect, we were traveling with my 6 month old baby(imagine that) and like I said - first time!

Boarding:
When we got there, it was about 2:30 pm and we got through the line very quickly. Our cabins were already ready, and it took us about half hour from getting there to being in our room.

Rooms:
We had a room that actually had four beds in it. Interior stateroom, no view! Went for the best deal possible. Two beds were made into a king bed, there was a bed right above our heads (?) which we did not need to use, and then the third bed was in the corner. They also got as a crib, which we ended up not using after all. Our bedding was so nice and comfortable! Pillows were perfect and there was plenty of pillows for everyone. Room was very clean, we even had a little night light. Lots of storage for our bags (we had six bags and a stroller) and there was More plenty of place for us to put everything. Bathroom is a shower only, with a nice storage area over the window. One complaint I had about the bathroom was that there was some mold in there. (Hairdryer is there as well) You also get some real nice and comfy robes!

Room Stewart:
We were very pleased with his service. He kept the room clean, cleaned it at least twice a day. We were in the room a lot, whenever our son needed to take a nap. Also kept our ice nice and cold. :)

Food:
There were few different places we dined. Imagination dining room was our "assigned"time and we loved it! Service was amazing, food was great and there was a large selection of foods. They had an "everyday" menu and then a special menu each night. Desserts were to die for! And I must admit after a good dinner, great dessert and hot chocolate always hit the spot! (You can also get espresso, cappuccino etc.)

Casual dining (Tiffany's) was good. They had a variety of foods each day, and different food every day. Except scrambled eggs for breakfast, that was there every morning. I loved their deli/omelette's station! Every morning I had a different omelette for breakfast. Also, their continental breakfast station, dessert station and sushi station. Sushi station is nothing to get excited about. Very bare. (But they have special sushi elsewhere on the ship).
Outside the grill station is great, and often when inside is busy, you can just go right out on the deck. Mongolian station was nice, I didn't care for it much, since they only have 3 different sauces offered.

Shows:
They put on different show every night. Some of them are pretty basic, others are quite a production. I suggest going. Every day you get a schedule of activities. We watched bands play on the Lido deck, lots of dancing going on! Also, multiple venues throughout the ship with different types of music every night. Karaoke going on all the time. Bingo was a great - I have never played Bingo before so this was a hoot. Nope, didn't win a thing, but that's okay. Had fun. (Go see marriage show with Gary - the cruise director, not a big production but REALLY funny, I laughed so hard!)

Ports:

Progresso:
In Progresso you take a free bus/shuttle to the city. It was a windy day and the beach was dirty. Great thing about the town is that they had $20/1 hour massages right on the beach. We bought a few things, bartering was fun. If you do not venture into town, at least exit the ship and check out little shops right there. Also they have 3 Coronas for $5.00. If you venture into town, you get 3 large Coronas for $5.00 :)

Conzumel:
We had a blast in Conzumel. Went to Paradise Beach (read about it here and Trip Advisor) Beautiful pool, very nice beach (very clean). Had some amazing nachos there! Overall had a blast. (Ps. Cab to Paradise Beach was $15.00 each way).

I must add:
Their staff was so friendly!!! Every single employee said hello every single time we walked by them. I read a review how their staff said no English- so not true! If they didn't not speak English they went and found somebody who did. Amazing service! Beyond words. To think they leave their families for 4 to 7 months at a time/working 7 days/week and to keep that attitude?! Great job! Also, we had a blast playing ping pong at 12:30 am, after the shows and the bands. Why not? There is just plenty to do!

Also, pictures! We did not have one picture taken. All you have to say is no thank you. Very simple.

Didn't try the room service or the spa. First 2 days were a bit rough for me, since I got nauseous from the motion. :)

Overall, going again! Less

Read more Carnival Elation cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Elation Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Elation Interior Empress

We had a room that actually had four beds in it. Interior stateroom, no view! Went for the best deal possible. Two beds were made into a king bed, there was a bed right above our heads (?) which we did not need to use, and then the third bed was in the corner. They also got as a crib, which we ended up not using after all. Our bedding was so nice and comfortable! Pillows were perfect and there was plenty of pillows for everyone. Room was very clean, we even had a little night light. Lots of storage for our bags (we had six bags and a stroller) and there was plenty of place for us to put everything. Bathroom is a shower only, with a nice storage area over the window. One complaint I had about the bathroom was that there was some mold in there. (Hairdryer is there as well) You also get some real nice and comfy robes!

(5.5)