Seabourn Odyssey Cruise Review by Shanola

Member Name: Shanola
Cruise Date: January 2012
Embarkation: Los Angeles
Destination: South Pacific
See More About: Seabourn Odyssey Cruise Reviews | South Pacific Cruise Reviews | Seabourn Cruise Deals

LuxuryOnly.com

Ship Facts: Seabourn Odyssey Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Seabourn Odyssey Deck Plans
Good bye, Seabourn!
After almost 300 days on Seabourn ships:

Seabourn was once an elegant, almost perfect cruise line which I truly loved. Since it is part of Carnival, it's over. Seabourn is now Middle-class. "Luxury" remained only the prices.

First of all: English is not my mother tounge. So please excuse my mistakes. And then: Maybe a couple of serious suggestions.

* Don't book Seabourn. There are better deals on the market.

* In case you book, don't book a couple of segments in a row. On the disembarkation/embarkation days they simply forget you.

Example: In LA I had to change room. No information about this day, no phone call, I didn't know when to leave the room to be transferred in the other one.

The "wake-up-call" was a terrible noise outside my roomdoor. A girl with the vacuum cleaner banging against the door, a boy dropping empty cans and bottles in a big box, a man in my bathroom wanting the trash. I could grab a towel at least ...

After that I went for breakfast. No breakfast any more, it's too late. "You can order room service." I was close to explain that I need a room for that or a chair to have the tray on my lap, but I didn't.

At 11.30 am I was finally transferred, but the room key didn't work. The so called Guest Service Manager came, opened the door with his card and said: "It's open, go in." Perfect management. And when I go out and need to go in again? "Then you can call me." After that he went away. It was 3.45 pm till I finally had a room again.

Nobody had an excuse.

* Don't be surprised when you find groups on board a Seabourn ship, sent by Holland America. They wear flipflops and swimsuits on a formal evening, get the best suites und 80% off the price.

* Privacy: When they do the security drill, they have papers with all names of the guests plus room number PLUS AGE! No idea what this is good for, but after the drill they leave the papers lying around for anyone to see. Of course some guests immediately start snooping: Oooh, Mr X is that old? And look at Mrs Y ...

The ones who keep the Odyssey alive don't have stripes: the stewardesses, the waiters (most of them), the people in the square. They are always friendly and raeady to help. Of course, there are exceptions. Nick Hale is the perfect cruise director, Ray Michaels as well. The Bar Manager Michael and his team. Thanks to all of them!

But these exceptions are rare...

I deeply regret that "Seabourn" - as we all knew and loved it - doesn't exist any more.

Publication Date: 03/11/12