Adventure of the Seas Cruise Review by JJLMT

Cruise Date: February 2012
Embarkation: San Juan
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Cabin Category: OS
See More About: Adventure of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Southern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals
Rates 5+

Great time on Adventure
To start off, a word to the wise. We book a pre night stay in San Juan at the Miramar 10 months in advance. We booked 4 rooms and had confirmation for them. When we got to the hotel, we were surprised to find out we had NO rooms, and they pawned us off on some cheap discount hotel around the corner. It was a complete disaster. Thank god it was only for 1 night.

When we arrived at the pier in San Juan, it looked like a 1,000 people standing outside the terminal. I thought we would be hours waiting to get checked in. We had a priority line to go to since we had a suite, but the rest of our group had to stand in the long long line. We got there are 11:30am.......the line surprisingly went very fast and all of us were on board in the ship in a half hours time. The staff was very courteous at the pier, but their seems to be some confusion getting through the security line. There were in fact no lines at all. It was just one big mob of people and you just had to push your way in.

The ship itself is beautiful, but showing some age. We booked an Owners Suite on deck 10. The suite was huge. Almost 600 sq foot. I was shocked by the size of the balcony though. It was any bigger than a balcony from a regular balcony room, but the inside of the suite made up for it. We did hear a lot of noise from the pool deck area on nights they had events. It wasn't bad enough to keep me awake, but you could hear chairs and people moving about. We had the luxury of having use of a concierge, but we only saw her once. We happened to run into her at the guest relations desk. Overall, I was not disappointed in our cabin and the service we received.

The entertainment lacked a bit from what we had seen on some of the other ships. The shows we saw were repeat shows from previous cruises, including the backdrops. I am not sure how RC rotates these shows, but it seems we always see either the same exact shows, or partial repeats. The ice show was probably the best show we saw.

Dinning was good as always. We had exceptional service from our waiter George, and his assistant Gladys. We also enjoyed seeing our head waiter "Big Momma" as she liked to be called. It was the first cruise that we actually had interaction with our head waiter. The food selection was ok. I did order a fillet from Chops one night which was the best I had ever had. It was well worth the $20 charge. Having a suite allowed us to choose a table of our choice. There are some nice perks when you book a suite. RC really bends over backwards to ensure when you book a suite such as an Owners suite, to contact you ahead of time and ask you if you have any request for dinning, or for your cabin.

For the most part I wasn't impressed by the ports of call. I usually would rather spend most of my time on the ship since that's what I paid for, and usually the ports all seem the same. We have done most all of them so I enjoyed having the pool deck mostly to myself while in port. We did do the Cosol tour while in St Lucia. If you have the opportunity to do this tour I would highly recommend it. It was well worth the $65 per person. It takes you well off the beaten path to the Pitons. Our guide Ben was very knowledgeable and wonderful. It was the best tour I have done to date on a cruise. You can look them up online under Cosol Tours, St Lucia. I am just surprised at how dirty most of the ports and islands are went to. You would think with the high volume of tourism they have, they would clean up the ports more.

Our overall cruise on Adventure was good. I don't know if I would cruise out of San Juan again. It was expensive for us to fly there from Upstate NY, and the experience with the hotel really threw us for a loop. The fact we had 9 family members standing in the street in San Juan with luggage, and no hotel room really put a damper on pre cruise day. Plus leaving from San Juan was the worst of any airport I had flown out of. Make sure you get there a couple of hours before your flight leaves. You will need the time. The lines to check in at US Air had like 300 people in it, and it took forever to check in. Then it was another hour to get through the two TSA security workers. It was nothing short of a mess.

Adventure is stil a great ship.............

Publication Date: 03/11/12