Liberty of the Seas Cruise Review by nystrgzr: Not Such a Good First Impression

Family & Children 5.0

Compare Prices on Liberty of the Seas Western Caribbean Cruises

Not Such a Good First Impression

Sail Date: March 2012

This was the first time I Cruised with Royal Caribbean. I booked this vacation back in July of 2010. It was to be my 7year old sons Christmas Gift. I had read reviews on Liberty of The Sea, and thought I had done enough research. However, I was wrong! On the day of departure (3/3/12)from Ft. Lauderdale we arrived at the airport and loaded on the transfer. We arrived at the ship and went to our room. It was a Deluxe Balcony Room # 7332. We found the room had ample space for the 2 of us. I was happily surprised when I saw the closet space and the ample amount of hangers. I was disappointed when I found not iron or ironing board in it. Every cruise I have taken with Regent there was one in the closet. This left me no choice but to send out items down for pressing.

We began our exploration of the ship and my son found the arcade. We proceed to put $40.00 on his sea pass card. He began to use it and it did not work. We were referred down to Customer Relations. Well it took 8 times More up and down the elevator for them to correct this problem. Not only did it not work but they put on the wrong amount a few times. Example we put $40 and they gave him only $25. This issue took away 2 hours of our vacation.

Our next problem was with the Flo Rider. I booked a lesson for him online month prior to our cruise departure. No where did I see a height requirement when I was clicking the guest name online to book and pay. (but when I wanted to book excursions if his age or height was an issue it would pop up and tell you he was not eligible for this excursion). We arrive at the Flo Rider desk at 7:00 pm on March 3 2012. We found the person in charge sound asleep and it took us 3 times of saying excuse me to him each time louder to wake him up! I was shocked. We he woke I informed him we were here for his lesson and he was extremely rude in telling me "he's to short... to short". I questioned him about the online booking and not stating a height requirement. He old me to go to Customer Relation. I do understand safety and I am ok with that aspect but to find him sleeping and being yelled at I do not appreciate. I phoned Customer Relations from my room to ask for a credit back and the gentleman I spoke with told me he had no record of me purchasing the lesson. I then had to go to the Internet Cafe, pay $35.00 for Internet service to try and look up my proof of purchase on line under My Account. Well now a whole new can of worms opened at the Cafe. I logged on and as my money started to tick away, all I got was "Internet explorer not responding" cha ching cha ching cha ching! I finally was able to log off and was so Pi@@ed off. I went back to my room FURIOUS!. Then next morning after I calmed down I had to spend 45 minutes at the Customer Service Desk with a woman who also could not find the lesson that I booked. Well after doing a lot of searching she finally found it but she had to e mail Corporate to make sure that what she was reading for the $60.00 was for the Flo Rider. (again frustrating). At the end of Day # 2 I finally did get my credit for the lesson and she did credit me for my Internet by giving me all the minutes back. I never had any intention on using the Internet while on vacation so I feel I had to pay for a service due to their problem.

The bar at the Pool, it was not overly crowded but there were only 2 bartenders working it and it would take 15-20 minutes to get a cocktail. If I have to wait that long I don't want it. Then it was in a tiny plastic cup. I purchased a soda package for my son and I., I did not realize that the only place to get fountain soda was at the pool and dining room. So if we were on the Promenade IT WAS $2.50 each. At breakfast if you wanted juice there was a charge. Cha Ching Cha Ching Chching!.

The food choices were at best minimal. The quality was ok not spectacular but the Dining Room Staff WAS FABALOUS! They really tried hard and succeeded. Great Job to you all. The Wind Jammer was not great and neither was the Jade. Johnny Rockets was great! The staff was fun and professional. The only problem that I was told by others who have cruise Royal Caribbean in the past is they were never charged to go to Johnny Rockets. So to pay a $4.95 "cover charge" was al little frustrating for them. I would agree. I understand to go to the Specialty Restaurants like Portofino and Chops it is normal to be charge a fee but Johnny Rockets? Again cha ching cha ching.

This was to be a Dream Works Cruise. There was 2 Parades on the ship one was the first night and the other was the last night. There were various different appearance during the cruise but in my mind not enough. We were expecting more character interaction. I also feel that to have a Parade at 10:30 at night is kind of late for little ones.

On the positive side of this trip Adventure Ocean Staff and activities for the kids was wonderful. My son enjoyed every second her was there and could not wait to get back! Again great job to the staff there. I spoke with several others while on this trip that have cruised with Royal Caribbean in the past their sentiments of this cruise was that same as mine. They did tell me to not judge the cruise line on this one trip. My answer to that is first impressions are ever lasting. Not so sure if I will ever book again with this line. Sad to say but I don't think so. Less

Read more Liberty of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Liberty of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Liberty of the Seas Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom Deck 6 7332

Ample Space for 2. Tiny Shower and small Bath but usable. Romm was ok # 7332. View was nice its a balcony.

Our excursion was cancelled this day due to weather.

Dolphin Swim & Encounter

(4)
Intresting. Son enjoyed it but just beware taht the photo package they are willing to deal with do not pay full price and the pics were not that great.