Sea Princess Cruise Review by Hetoldmenottodoit: Sydney to New Zealand and Back

Sydney to New Zealand and Back

Sail Date: February 2012
Destination: Australia & New Zealand
Embarkation: Sydney (Australia)

We were extremely happy with our cruise. The attention of the staff was what most impressed me on this cruise. A large majority of passengers were older people who had walking sticks and walking frames and the staff looked after these passengers wonderfully by helping them in the Horizon Buffet, carrying their plate and serving the food.

Our cabin was in a great position, towards mid ship and quite close to the lifts and laundry.

The food was great in the dining room and you can order as many courses, or double size meals as you like. If you buy a bottle of wine in the dining room or in the bar, you can take it with you to the next area you are going to. Buying by the bottle is cheaper than buying by the glass.

While I enjoyed the food from the Horizon Court Buffet, it is never very hot as it would all burn up to nothing. Next time I might be brave enough to ask for something to be heated in the microwave.

We really enjoyed the entertainment. When More you go around New Zealand on a ship you realise that the ports are quite some way from where some of the popular tourist sites are, e.g. Rotorua and that if you took an excursion to some of the places it could easily take nine hours before you were back on board.

When you go to ports that need a tender, (e.g. Bay of Islands - which would be beautiful on a nice non-rainy day) there never seems to be sufficient tenders released from the ship to do this job - but we were told that a certain number had to be kept on board in case there was an incident on the ship.

Tauranga was after Auckland and we had the day off from going ashore. I think it can get very tiring if you are trying to do something ashore and things on board every day.

Napier, the Art Deco City was next. There was a free shuttle bus from the ship. Napier is good to walk around - heaps of art deco buildings to photograph. Food places galore. Had a good vibe to it.

Akaroa was the next port after Wellington, another tender port. I decided not to go ashore because I couldn't be bothered waiting if there were insufficient tenders used again. My partner went ashore, and although the ship's announcement kept saying that they were sorry for the delays, because of choppy seas - they were using more tenders and he was there and back by 11.30 a.m. Akaroa is a very pretty village which had originally been settled by the French. We have nice photos from there.

Fiordlands was the next place we cruised through and it's scenery on a gigantically tall scale. Lots of photo opportunities - we were lucky enough to have both fine and wet weather - the rain puts mist on the cliffs and makes them look good and when it's fine, it gives clarity. Less

Read more Sea Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Sea Princess Review >>

Cabin review: Sea Princess Oceanview Doulbe with Balcony Caribe Deck C341

Cabin No. C341 - Deck No. 9 Caribe. This cabin has a balcony. I would have preferred not to have the chairs and small table on the balcony at all because they took up too much room when we both wanted to be out there and take photos, look through binoculars etc. The combined toilet and bathroom is very small - I would like something a little bit bigger, but the hot water service was excellent and there was lots of pressure. I would consider a cabin without a balcony (but with a window) next time because so many people told us that those cabins were the real value for money cabins (you get the same amount of room as the balcony + cabins - you just don't have the balcony.

City Tour

(5)
Unlike our experience at the Bay of Islands (where we had a bus with a leaking roof in a number of places) this tour driver and coach was absolutely professional. He clearly loves his job and it was a pleasure to be driven around slowly. Perhaps they have permission to drive slowly so you can take photos - I don't know - but we were certainly able to see everything.

There was a shuttle at the wharf which cost $10 per person, return. We caught a city hopper (I can't remember the fee) which you can jump on or off. The hopper tour around the city takes about an hour. It was a good way to get around. We got off at the Railway Station and had a good look around. It is an absolutely beautiful building.
Read 80 Dunedin Reviews

We caught the $10 return trip shuttle from the wharf. We expected cold winds but that didn't happen and we had an absolutely gorgeous sunny day that was still cool though. I highly recommend going to the Museum of Wellington City and Sea - which you can walk to quite easily. Admission is free and make sure you see the show that runs for twelve minutes - I won't spoil the surprise but it is one thing I would recommend over all others in Wellington.