Jewel of the Seas Cruise Review by YukiPhnx: The brightest Jewel on the seas

YukiPhnx
Member Since 2011

Compare Prices on Jewel of the Seas Europe - Western Mediterranean Cruises

The brightest Jewel on the seas

Sail Date: February 2012
Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean
Embarkation: Tampa

This was my partner and I's 2nd cruise, but we were both too young on our first to really enjoy it fully. It was his first time with RCCL and my 2nd time. They haven't given me a reason to not cruise with them yet.

Stateroom: We loved our stateroom. It was one of the lowest category rooms but it was great. I don't mind small spaces so I was pretty content. The way the room was organized made it feel pretty spacious. We never felt cramped. The room was beautifully re-decorated and the bed was SO COMFORTABLE. We also loved the bathroom. Most people decide to go Interior because they don't spend much time in the room anyways, but we spent a fair amount of time there and still really liked it. The only downside was that the closet doors only opened halfway, so only 1 person could stand in front of the opened closet at a time. Overall, I would not hesitate to book an Interior on the Jewel again.

Ship: The ship was GORGEOUS. It was a little confusing to get used to at first, More but we were pros by the 2nd night. We loved riding the side elevators that faced out. It was great to start our day off with a beautiful view of the sea or port. The pool was a little small, but most people sunbathed anyway. There were so many places on the ship to just lounge and chat with my group. We especially loved the Cards room in the Safari Club. It was mostly deserted and we had the place to ourselves. It's located to the right of the dance floor in the Club.

Entertainment: The shows in the Coral Theatre weren't that spectacular. We only watched 2 of 5 shows. We had some great cruise directors but the one that stood out is Becky aka Bingo Becks. She was the life of every room and OH SO CUTE! We especially enjoyed the activities she hosted. We spent a surprising amount of time in Casino Royale. The only downside to that was being constantly emerged in cigarette smoke. There was always something going on and when we weren't doing something, we were lounging on the pool deck with plenty of loungers to go around. The Solarium was great and especially nice around 10pm when it was practically empty.

Shopping: It's best to do this on the last 2 nights of the cruise because that's when the deals come out. Not bad for a ship of this size.

Dining: WE LOVED THIS.
The Windjammer has so much variety and lots of good food. We didn't buy any of the drink packages but never felt thirsty, there were so many drinks to choose from. Our favourite was the Unsweetened Iced Tea. The curry dish was always good and there were always great options.
Tides dining room was beautiful and we had a great seat close to the window. The food wasn't spectacular every night, but it would be very good on some nights. I think I only didn't fully enjoy on of my dinners there. The only thing different about breakfast here and the Windjammer was the awesome Granola Bar. Same thing for lunch, they had a GREAT Salad Bar.
The Seaview Cafe is really a hidden gem. It was mostly empty the whole cruise but had some great eats. The fish and chips were so juicy and the sandwiches scrumptious.
The Solarium was the best place for a late night snack. Not a whole lot of variety, but satisfying enough at 11pm. The pizza was pretty good.

Crew: The service was incredible. We adored our waiter, Cornelius. Everybody was always so nice and accommodating. Our stateroom attendant always kept our room looking its best, despite our habit of tossing everything EVERYWHERE. I would return to this ship just for the crew.

Em/Debarkation: We arrived around 1:30pm and despite a long line, everything went really smoothly. Our bags arrived in a room after we grabbed a lunch in the Windjammer
As a Canadian citizen, we had to go through an Immigration Clearance on our debarkation day. Even though we had to do this really early in the morning, we didn't have to wait too long. It was handled very well and also went very smoothly. They even provided some drinks and morning pastries for us. We had plenty of time to get breakfast. We were one of the last groups to be called off the ship and it was a breeze. Less

Read more Jewel of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Jewel of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Jewel of the Seas 3053

Lots of storage space, beautiful new decor, toilet a little too high, great central location

Glass Bottom Boat Tour

(3)
Not for those that get seasick! It was a small little boat and was bobbing a LOT. Take those motion-sickness pills before this excursion. Because of the early departure time, all excursions started out very early. Ours started at 7:15am. The coral reef was very cool to see, but you would see more in the Florida Aquarium. Our guide was great and so passionate. It was very pricey for a 2 hour tour.

Hiking

(4)
The description of this excursion on the RCCL website is that we would be visiting the Tulum ruins. We didn't. It was simply a Jungle Hike through a man-made ranch to LOOK like an area the Mayans WOULD'VE trekked through, with replicas of the originals scattered around. We still had a great time. Our guide was an Iron Man and very good at his job. The trek was a lot of fun, reminding me of playground sets. I suggest you wear hiking boots instead of just running shoes, the path is very rough. The Beach break was great. Very good food and the beach was awesome. Paddle boats and other water toys to play with and fairly intimate.