Carnival Valor Cruise Review by raggedyann6: Fun Time

Member Since 2006

Compare Prices on Carnival Valor Western Caribbean Cruises

Fun Time

Sail Date: February 2012

Our group of 5 ladies ranging from mid 30's to mid 60s were on the Valor Feb 26 2012 sailing. We embarked around 2:00, check in took about 15 minutes hardly any lines at that time. We had 2 inside midship cabins. I was in a cabin for 3 2 twin beds on the floor and one bunk bed. We got egg crates on the beds which were very comfortable to me. We had 6:00 traditional dining and were at a table for 10. Our table mates were a group of 5 ladies nieces, and sisters. Our head waiter was the most unfriendly waiter I have ever had on any cruise of the 7 other cruises I have been on. We always were the last table served and yet we felt rushed all the time. He was even rude to the other staff. We did the lido buffet one of the nights and our last night did anytime dining, our waiter was so, so much nicer. I ate breakfast once in the lido and once in the dining room which I thought were fine. The other days I got up too late for breakfast and ate at the deli. I always ordered smoked salmon at More the deli which was great with fresh mozzarella on a bagel. The ribs and seafood were my favorite at dinner, the food on Carnival is good not great. For the price I think it is a good value.
Our cabin steward did not stop by and introduce himself like on other cruises but we wrote notes for him when we needed anything which he got. My cabin mate met him the 2nd or 3rd day he was very nice but had 18 cabins to take care of no wonder we did not see him. They work the staff to death I think. I would rather pay an extra $50 and have more staff. The shows and comedy was pretty good not fantastic. My friends did the water slide which was always open unlike previous cruises.
The pools were open a lot also never more than a few people in them. The ship was very clean. We went dancing every night in the dance club the big negative to me is they allow smoking in the club. The last 2 Carnival cruises I went on last year one out of Long Beach, CA and one out of New Orleans did Not allow smoking in the dance club. The smoke from the casino went out to the bar and dance floor next to it. I smelled smoke in the areas that allowed smoking. I wish the only place to smoke was one side of the Lido deck or if they had a better ventilation system. There was no smoking in the cabins which is nice.
We met a lot of fun people on the cruise which is one of the reason I love cruising. There were not many kids under 18 but the ones I did see seemed to be having fun. We did not do any excursions through the ship, we private booked them.
We did the luggage express since our flight out of Miami did not leave until 5:15 pm. They sent the luggage on and we picked it up at our final destination which was great. We had breakfast in the dining room the day we left and got off the ship around 10 which took about 5 minutes to go through customs which was fantastic. Less

Read more Carnival Valor cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Valor Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Valor Interior Empress 7386

Cabin 7386 was in the end of midship near elevators and stairs. It was easy to get to the dining room, lido and dance club. There were cabins above and below us. It was fairly quite.

I booked Captain Bryan's Buccaneer Stingray City and 2 snorkeling spots for $39.00. There were about 40 people on the excursion which was fun. The weather was great about 82 and the water was warm.

We were going to to the trolley hop on hop off in Key West but ended up just walking on Duval and going to the southern most point. There were lots of shops and restaurant/bars to check out. It was pretty hot the day we were there.
Read 741 Key West Reviews

I booked a private tour with Dwain Bailey at dwainstour@yahoo .com a few months before our cruise. He met us outside the cruise dock fence and took us all around Ocho Rios. I really loved Ocho Rios maybe because Dwain was such a good guide and knew so many locals, nobody bothered us. Yes there were people selling things but they were very friendly and were polite when I said no thanks. I did talk to some of the locals and they seemed happy to just talk and not try to talk us into buying anything. I know some people say they felt unsafe in Ocho Rios we did not go off the beaten path which is what you would do in any city. I would love to go back to Ocho Rios and spend a week there. When we were at the pier a Jamaican lady with the tourism board asked us who was meeting us and wanted to see my confirming email. She said it was to make sure the person meeting us was a licensed. I think that is a great idea. Our guide Dwain said he has to pay a fee of $600 to get a license to take tourist around and he had to take a 3 month course.