Pride of America Cruise Review by 1sttimenclcruiser: NCL Pride of America February 2012

1sttimenclcruiser
Member Since 2011

Entertainment Not Rated

Compare Prices on Pride of America Hawaii Cruises

NCL Pride of America February 2012

Sail Date: February 2012
Destination: Hawaii
Embarkation: Honolulu

This ship is like no other ship I've ever been on. The motif is not what I expected but was pleasing to the eye. We did not enjoy any of the entertainment while on the ship, by this I mean that we did not par take, but did hear from several people that the shows were very well done. Since this ship is in port everyday you don't really spend a lot of time on the ship. At least we didn't. I really liked getting off the ship everyday but it was very different than any other cruise I've been on, not in a bad way but a good way.
The ship does sway more than any other ship I've been on. They say it due to all the balconies. Our room was a large balcony on the back of the ship and due to this we swayed head to toe in bed instead of side to side. It was very different and I had a hard time sleeping the first night.
The food in the "Free" restaurants was decent, but the fee based restaurants were fantastic and well worth the money. I would consider Jefferson's Bistro to be More equal to a 4 start restaurant. I would rate them in the following order: Jefferson's Bistro, East Meets West, Little Italy, Lazy J's, Skyline, Aloha Cafe, and then the Cadillac Grill.
All the staff on the ship seems to be American so that is different too. They were all very friendly and responsive to any issues we had.
The thing to remember is that it is your vacation and it will only be as good as you make it. Don't depend on the ship and it's personnel to make your vacation for you. I think the more you plan ahead the better you will enjoy your vacation. Be laid back and enjoy your time. Hawaii is beautiful. DON'T LOOK FOR THINGS to complain about and you will have a wonderful time. Less

Read more Pride of America cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Pride of America Review >>

Cabin review: Pride of America 9200

We were in 9200 which is on the back of the ship with a large balcony. The views are spectacular and it is a quiet location. This is an amazing place to be since the views are the best from this location. Especially for the last day when you pass by NePali. We did not pass by the lava flow since the weather was wet and foggy. Comparing this room to the rooms on Carnival and Disney, this room was smaller but very comfortable for two adults. I don't see how three people would fit but they do state the room can sleep 3. The bathroom shower seems small but after taking showers it is larger than expected. The bathroom has no US Plug but some type of international plug in the ceiling above the sink. We were looking for a plug for a night light. Take a power strip with you on the cruise so that you can plug in all your electronics. Phones, Laptops, Battery charges for cameras. There are not that many plugs in the room.

Island Tour

(3)
This tour took us to lava flows, black sand beach, McKenzie's Park where there was a blow hole and gorgeous cliff views, the hot pool, and a Macadamia Nut Farm for a wonderful grilled lunch. The farm was a wonderful quiet location with beautiful grounds. The fresh nuts, fruits and lunch was a nice break in the day. This is a small group of people in a 14 passenger van. The views were just breath taking. The guide was very interesting and accommodating. We even stopped for NoNi juice.

Little Circle Island

(3)
We did the tour since we had a 12 hour wait for a our flight on Saturday. The tour guide was very informative. We stopped at a number of places but only drove by a most of the places. The Dole Plantation was interesting but didn't really have enough to do for the 1-1/2 time we spent there. The ranch was a neat place to spend some time. I wished it was longer at the ranch and less time at the Dole Plantation. The lunch provided was nothing to write home about but this tour was well worth the money if you have time to kill before a flight. We did like Sunset Beach with the amazing waves. We stopped to see the Blow Hole and it was not as grand as the one on the Wiamea Canyon Tour or the one on the Secrets of Puna Tour. We enjoyed the tour especially since it dropped us at the airport.

Waimea Canyon

(3)
This was a large bus(Gray Hound Size)tour. It was the least liked tour but the canyon was worth the trip. This excursion can be done on your own if you don't mind driving. The tour was still worth the money but not as exciting as a helicopter trip. The blow hole on this excursion is the best one we saw. The canyon is very beautiful as much of Hawaii is beautiful. A definite must see.

Helicopter Tour

(4)
This tour was supposed to take us to the top of the volcano but the weather was not permitting in February. We did however take the other option to go see the cliffs, and valley's. The trip took about 45 minutes and was well worth it. We did not see whales but another group did and it made their day. You fly over the dry side of the island to the wet side. The views are spectacular and they take a video while you fly that you can purchase. I think this was the best excursion we did the entire trip.

Molokini Crater

(4)
Snorkeling at the crater was wonderful. The water is much more shallow than where you snorkel with turtles. We even saw whales on the way to the first stop. The food was good and they provided me with prescription mask. Wet suite tops are available for 10.00 and well worth the money. The water is cool. All the people working the boat were very friendly. We saw lots of colorful fish. Snorkeling with the turles was neat but the water is a lot deeper. Turtles were hard to spot and there were so many people chasing them that they go deep in the water. The excursion was wonderful and I would do it again.