Mariner of the Seas Cruise Review by Supurcell: Super Ship & Top Notch Staff!

Supurcell
Member Since 2003

Compare Prices on Mariner of the Seas Western Caribbean Cruises

Super Ship & Top Notch Staff!

Sail Date: February 2012
Embarkation: Galveston

After sailing on the Voyager twice, I was familiar with the layout of the Mariner. The Voyager & Mariner are pretty much identical, except the Mariner is newer & fresher. Everyone in my group noticed Royal Caribbean is cutting back on some of the perks. For instance, the steaks in the main dining room were not top grade & the lobster was extremely small. However, the food quality is still very good. I highly recommend the appetizers in the main dining room. If you do want top quality steak & lobster, spend the extra $20 - $ 30 to eat in The Chops Grill or Portofinos for one or two evenings. Everything is excellent in these restaurants & well worth the extra $.

Another example of cutbacks was in the amount of activities on board. A few years ago, there were bean bag toss tournaments, ping pong, etc. Now they still have these activities, but only once during the 7 day cruise & often scheduled at 4:30 which conflicts with early dining. They have also cut back on the quality More of prizes given out.

There is an excellent singer who sings and plays piano in one of the lounges every evening. He wears a cowboy hat & can pretty much sing any song you suggest. He has an excellent personality for entertaining. Speaking of entertainment, the cruise ship singers put on several top quality shows. The skaters are amazing. Don't miss the skating show. The cruise ship orchestra is small, but good. The Mariner didn't have a great karaoke leader, like the Voyager did last year. I missed going down to the Pig & Whistle bar for karaoke.

Even though the cutbacks are obvious, the staff is still very service oriented and extremely well managed. We needed a leaky faucet repaired in our bathroom. It was repaired within an hour of our complaint. From our stateroom attendant to our dining room staff, the employees were bending over backwards to please. Thank you RCC! Less

Read more Mariner of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Mariner of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Mariner of the Seas Grand Suite Deck 10 1278

We were in a grand suite on deck 10. There was so much storage space, we couldn't begin to fill the space. We didn't really use our bar very much. However, it was nice to have the counter area. The suite was extremely spacious. The carpet & curtains were in great shape. The room was very soundproof. I never heard our neighbors, even though they said they were watching their tv at a loud volume. The bathtub is nice. However, the tub is so high, I don't know how older passengers can climb in & out without injury. The bathrooms had 2 sinks; good for my marriage :-). There is a wonderful curtain that can be drawn to make a separate room. This was handy when my husband wanted to read at 4 AM. The balcony has a full size lounger and a table with 2 chairs. The air-conditioning worked well.