Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review by phleb21: Great Getaway

Compare Prices on Norwegian Jewel Bahamas Cruises

Great Getaway

Sail Date: February 2012
Destination: Bahamas
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

I got this cruise through my local casino. Joined Cruise Critic to get more info on the ship from others who have sailed on the Jewel. Found a group that was also sailing on the date I selected. That was wonderful, Thank you Vicki! It was nice to meet others at the start of the cruise at the Meet and Greet. As far as the ship, I have never been on a ship with Freestyle Cruising. Loved that. Having no set time to be anywhere. Was a litte disapointed in TZAR restaurant. Ate there 3 times, once for breakfast and once for dinner. It is the more formal of the two main restaurants. One night we did dine with the Officers, YES, the service was much better. AZURA was WONDERFUL!! Everyone from host, waiters, assistant waiters, managers. I was sure that this was the more upscale restaurant. Service was super. One night it was very busy. The waiter explained that it was busy and might take a little longer for our food. I'm not sure what they consider a "little longer". We had drinks within 5 min More and food within 15 min. WOW...They consider that long. We waited 25 min for a cup of tea in TZAR's. I'll eat in AZURA's anytime! Did go to Mama's one night. Food and service there was also superior. $10.00 up charge was well worth it. Buffet on deck 12 with the Washy, Washy ladies. So many choices of excellent food. Pool water was a little warm. Hot tubs great. Room was comfortable for 2 people. (not sure how it would have been with 4, I'm guessing a little tight) Balcony was nice to have.

Overall, Wonderful cruise. Lots of things to do. NCL's private island was very nice. We got thier early. One of the first 3 tenders to the island. Lots of construction. Shows were excellent!! Get there a little early for the best seats. We were a little disappointed in the White Hot Party. Started out OK with the music selection, then went to the "new wave" type of music. Not really my style. Angeltini drink was good.

I would sail with NCL again. Jewel was very clean. I might pack lighter and carry my own bags off the ship. Nice to be able to decide when YOU want to get off the ship. You do have to be out of your cabin by 9am. Less

Read more Norwegian Jewel cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Jewel Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Jewel Oceanview Stateroom with Balcony Deck Eight

Had a balcony suite. Fine for two, might be tight for 4 people. Limited storage space. Stocked fridge in room. Had my own power strip for charging electronics. Only 2 plugs in the room. Room was Quiet. Mid ship Cabin 9622.

Thier Island was beatiful. White sand beaches. Staff from ship on the island. No charge to go. Get up early for a tender ticket, chairs go fast. Water was perfect. Could not get any food until about 11am. We were there from 9:15. Also they didn't have any ice tea available. We did enjoy the day. BRING SUNBLOCK.. I used SPF 50 and still burned. Loved the island and would do it again.

Having been to Orlando many times, decided to stay onboard and relax.
Read 2614 Nassau Reviews

Beach Break

(2)
We had originally decided to do the Atlantis beach tour. Changed our minds on the ship and thought just go and see what it was like. Got a taxi from the port to Atlantis Hotel. $4.00 US dollars per person. The only thing you can do is walk around the casino and some of the shops. "If you want to see the property at all. (even just walking around it will cost you $40.00 per person) Spent a couple of hours there and went back to the ship.