Norwegian Gem Cruise Review by tiskismet

Norwegian Gem
Norwegian Gem
Member Name: tiskismet
Cruise Date: February 2012
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Destination: Bahamas
Cabin Category: SF
See More About: Norwegian Gem Cruise Reviews | Bahamas Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals
        7-9 4.0

Ship Facts: Norwegian Gem Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Norwegian Gem Deck Plans
AMAZING Gem Staff!
We chose NCL because we could get an accessible room and because they seemed to have the most support for my husband in a wheelchair. We also wanted to try "freestyle cruising." We honestly could not have been more thrilled with the staff. They knocked themselves out to make sure my husband was able to get everywhere as easily as possible. Several time room stewards would hurry down long hallways clearing a path of housekeeping carts so my husband could get through unimpeded. They knew our names, they would say hello to our daughter (by name) even when we were in other parts of the ship. NCL really knocked themselves out to make it a great vacation for my family.

As for the ship - there were parts that seemed a little worn or faded, although it was extremely clean. The buffets were good with a big variety - albeit, not amazing. The BBQs by the pool were excellent. The shows were very good, with lots of variety. My daughter enjoyed the kid's club (she is 9) - although I really wish they didn't enter through the really little kid's area - I think it turns off the older kids. Because we had booked a penthouse suite, we had access to Cagney's for breakfast and lunch - it was REALLY wonderful. We also did 3 specialty dinners, all were excellent. We did Cagneys Steak House, Tappanyaki Japanese, and Moderno's (on it's 2nd night open).

We had spa passes for the week. I was disappointed not to use mine more, but that was really my own fault for not wanting to leave my daughter at the kid's club too much. I think I would skip it next time, unless I am not cruising with kids. My husband did use his pass and the spa people really went out of their way to make it as useful for him as possible given his limited mobility.

Great Stirrup Cay was fun. The snorkeling was easy and good for my 9 year old. They are working on the island, so it is a bit weird in that you feel a little like you're in a construction zone at times - I assume that will be improving, though.

All in all - it was a really Great cruise!

Publication Date: 03/05/12
Read the Bahamas ports review by tiskismet
More Norwegian Gem Cruise Reviews