Norwegian Epic Cruise Review by CHELSEADOG

Member Name: CHELSEADOG
Cruise Date: February 2012
Cabin Category: B5

Nickel-and-dime Cruise Line
We, my husband, myself, daughter, son-in-law, son and three grand children went last year on a Disney Cruise. This year we chose NCL Epic because it was a Nickelodeon cruise and thought it would have a lot for the kids to do. There was very little Nickelodeon stuff on the cruise. Breakfast with characters Slime show and a couple shows we missed because of dinner scheduling.

Before we even sailed it was difficult to get reservations for the shows. It was also very difficult to know when to schedule the shows.

I've never been on a cruise where they charge for entertainment. I was not aware of this till I tried to make reservations for the shows. Circque Dreams was $25.00 for the cheap seats and $35.00 for the seats where you could actually see the show. Murder mystery was $20.00 and breakfast with Nickelodeon characters $15.00. The food served at these shows was directly from the buffet. None of the shows were worth it. They would have been okay with out the extra charge when you pay extra money you expect something special. There was no charge for Blue Man Group and it was great!

When you pay extra for a restaurant you expect a menu and food that is upscale. What we got in the steakhouse for $25.00 per person was an additional charge of $8.00 if you wanted a little lobster tail. Every one sent the seafood bisque back it was horrible.

The menus and food in the no charge dining rooms was inferior to the other cruise lines that I've been on. On the last night my daughter asked for shrimp cocktail (always available on Princess)and was given what looked like a bowl of tiny pink worms with ketchup on top. yick.

The cabin was the smallest we've seen. We had a family cabin with a balcony. I won't even comment on the shower and commode placement just don't like sleeping right next to the commode.

My grandson got a bad sun burn at the beach in St Maarten. We went to the medical center to see if we could buy some zinc oxide so we could cover the area on his nose and he could go out in the sun again. They had no zinc oxide. They wanted the doctor to see my grandson. We asked what he would prescribe and were told he would prescribe Benedryl cream or cortisone cream. So it would be $105.00 for MD and additional for cream. No doctor would prescribe that for a burn.

When I called before the cruise and during the cruise to ask questions about the ports they could only tell me about their tours. They knew nothing about the beaches except the beach tours for $60.00 per person.

I booked the Seahorse sail and snorkel tour for Nassau. The kids couldn't wait to go snorkeling that is all they could talk about. I chose this particular tour because my 4 year old grand daughter could go snorkeling. This tour was canceled a few days before. They suggested the Atoll Island snorkeling tour. There was an age limit on this tour my grand daughter would be unable to snorkel but we still had to pay for her. Too bad. It was scheduled to leave at 2PM. We went shopping in the nearby stores and went to the meeting point at 1:45PM. On the way we saw all the other cruise lines walking in groups to go to their snorkeling trips. We were told that this tour was also canceled but don't worry they would refund our money.We didn't want our money back we wanted to snorkel. This was our last stop it was 2 in the afternoon and there was no way we could make arrangements to do something and be back on the ship in time for the show that night.The kids were crying. NCL didn't care. They did not offer anything else and said that it wasn't their fault.

Yes, it was their fault. They are the experts. They go into these ports everyday. It is their job to arrange tours. At the very least they could have arranged transportation to the beach. The whole day was wasted. It ruined the trip for the kids.

I read about the Ice Bar and wanted to go have a drink there. Who would think it would cost $20.00 to see it (includes 2 drinks) but $20.00 for kids too!!!

The service was very good. (except shore excursions)

The buffet always seemed to have the same food every day.

The shops had mostly cheap stuff.

Public rooms were very nice. I missed a center area.

The kids enjoyed the pools and the "toilet bowl" slides.

The spa was beautiful.

We felt we were nickeled and dimed to death. NEVER WILL CRUISE NCL AGAIN.

NCL the Never-again Cruise Line.

Publication Date: 03/05/12