Carnival Triumph Cruise Review by rustyred1990: My cruise review

Compare Prices on Carnival Triumph Western Caribbean Cruises

My cruise review

Sail Date: February 2012
Embarkation: Galveston

For my first cruise this was a very large ship with a lot to keep me busy. I was with a large group so I never felt isolated or lonely, but I saw a few other young people (20's) who seemed pretty bored on their own. There were a lot of old people. The port visits in Progresso and Cozumel were way too short. I could not realistically do all the things I wanted to do in town, which was frustrating. Next time I will get an overnight port cruise.

A very large ship with many entertainment areas. My complaint is that there were too many people, and it was difficult to locate a secluded/non-noisy area of the deck on which to read. There were just too many other people, and it didn't feel very luxurious.

Not the best quality food I've ever eaten. The steak was nice, as was the free soft serve ice cream 24/7.

I had room 2207 which had no windows, a regular bed, and a nonocombinable sofa bed. I would have preferred two regular, combinable beds.

Staff More was nice to the point of irritation.

Really enjoyed the burlesque show and free alcohol tasting. The casino was also very well done. Booze was pretty expensive though!! Less

Read more Carnival Triumph cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Triumph Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Triumph Upper/Lower Main 2207

The room was one of the cheapest I could find on the ship. But I was really frustrated that I was only given two choices of rooms when I booked, even though there were others available since I wanted to get rooms near my friends. For a cheap room, it was not bad. There was a bed and a separate sofa bed, which were not combinable. This was frustrating. The bathroom was great and the staff very helpful and seemed to always be working. Overall meh.

Beach Break

(1)
The Caribe resort beach included a free tequila tasting which was very fun. However, the beach was manmade and not very pretty. It was basically built on the rocky coast. We were given snorkel equipment and told there would be a reef. there was basically some sunken concrete with a few fish around it. NOT impressed. What really frustrated me was the lack of competition at Puerta Maya, where our ship docked. There were only two competing lines, and neither was able to negotiate on their prices, which were excessively high. I would have preferred a place with independent operators who could have lowered the price. I had two choices. Get screwed really hard by the cruise line, or get screwed by the duopolisitic excursion agencies.

Mayan Ruins

(2)
I paid 38 dollars to go see the ruins of san gervasio and go to the Caribe resort beach, which was not worth it. The ruins were nice, but expensive. 8 dollars nonnegotiable. What really frustrated me was the lack of competition at Puerta Maya, where our ship docked. There were only two competing lines, and neither was able to negotiate on their prices, which were excessively high. I would have preferred a place with independent operators who could have lowered the price. I had two choices. Get screwed really hard by the cruise line, or get screwed by the duopolisitic excursion agencies.

The small town of progreso was a quick, free bus ride away. This quaint town had a distinctly different feel from Cozumel. It was much less built up but still had a lot of stuff to do. I took a 3 dollar double decker bus ride which stopped by a beer shop to grab some cold ones in the morning. I then paid 40 dollars for a trip to see some mayan ruins and a cenote. Overall, I had a great time here.
Read 284 Progreso Reviews