Carnival Triumph Cruise Review by wgb7428: A lot better than I expected

wgb7428
Member Since 2009

Compare Prices on Carnival Triumph Western Caribbean Cruises

A lot better than I expected

Sail Date: February 2012
Embarkation: Galveston

I first sailed on Carnival in 2010 and was the worst cruise ever, but friends said that the four day cruised were usually pretty bad. Carnival has recently move the Trimuph to galveston so I figured I'd try the five day.

Drove to the port from home, it just doesn't pay to fly from Dallas, can drive quicker. Arrived same time as last cruise and was supprised that they had all their check in lines open. Last time they closed all but two at 1200. The line to check in moved along at a steady pace and was on board in no time. The one thing I don't understand about Carnival is why do they kick you out of your room early, but can't have the rooms ready until 1330? Both my Princess cruises we went straight to our room. On Carnival we have to haul our carry on items up to the buffet.

Room was nothing to brag about. I guess they don't clean other than vacuum after the last guest left. Still had hair and dirt in the drawers and hair and dirt all over the toilet. The More bar soap and tooth paste was a nice surprise from their standard soap and shampoo on the shower wall. The bathroom was a nice size and the sink had space to lay out your medicine, toothpast, tooth brush comb and razor. The shower had plenty of room that you wern't getting mugged by the shower curtain.

Had early seating in the London Dining Room. Plenty of room in two story room. There was a lot of space between tables, no need to bump into the table next to you to get up from your chair or for waiters to pass. Our waiter Ernie was terriffic. I wish I could remember the name of the maitre'd. He did a good job of speaking with the guests nightly. He had the waiters give a little show each night during service. He also gave the wine tasting class that I really enjoyed because I've never been much of a wine person. Some nights the food quality was really good others it was just so so.

Activities were the Carnival standard, hairy chest, Master Mixologist contest and lots of bingo. I will admit that Tex the cruise director did a good job with his spin-off games. The Game of Love and 60 Seconds or Less had everyone rolling in the isles.

The nightly entertainment was for the most part pretty good, though the male vocalist just doesn't cut it. I thought Wonderful World was better than The Big Easy. I was surprised that Showcase of The Stars was as good as it was. It was guests singing what they wanted with the ship band. The best night was New Wave Magic.

We arrived on time back in Galveston which is sometimes a problem with the fog. I wish Carnival could be a bit more organized with their disembarkation process. Everyone has to be out of their room by 0800 or 0830 and everybody is sitting with there carry on luggage (or for those that think their saving time by taking all their bags with them) on the Promenade or Lido deck until called. I've got an idea let the people that have their bags waiting on the dock get off the ship first then let the people that want to lug their stuff drag it off at the end.

I will say this was a lot better then what I was expecting. Even though I've now seen both ports and the activities and food is repetitious I may take this ship again for a short get away. Less

Read more Carnival Triumph cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Triumph Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Triumph Interior Upper 6240

Cabin 6240, located on Main deck forward. Is directly above the Rome Theater about half way between the forward stairs and the very front of the ship. If you're in the room during a show or rehearsal it can be a bit noisy. I think it's located inside of the speakers but you could hear the entire show. If it was just a game show or bingo you really couldn't notice. Once the last show was done for the night it was a quite location, not like being above or below a dance club. Deck six is just above the Promenade deck and was a quicker way to get to the back of the ship to get to the Paris dining room or up to the Lido deck buffet. Except to go to deck zero for port calls it's usually only three decks down for the lobby bar and guest services or three levels up for the Lido pools and buffet. Only took elevator maybe three times, stairs were quicker.

Island Tour

(4)
Tour gave a good overview of sites around down town. I was thinking the church we stopped at was older than what it was. The tequila factory tour wasn't a tour at all. They produced no tequila there it was just the factory store for this tequila company. I will admit for a bourbon drinker the tasting was interesting and informative. The rest of the shopping was mostly the same stuff that's available in every Caribbean port. The Black Coral was nice but too expensive. We did stop at one location by the airport for a photo stop, but I wish a few more photo site seeing stops would have been provided.

Didn't do any shore excursions this port. After living on the boarder for a number of years Pregreso looks like most Mexican boarder towns. Did take a nice local run city tour for $3.00 per person. It was about 25 minutes and gave a good overview of the town. The local market has all the same t-shirts and Hawiian shirs as every other port. They even had some of the same shirts I got in St. Marteen two years ago. Pregreso does have a nice beach just two blocks from where the port shuttle drops you off. Most of the local beach fron bars have service on the beach. It is hard to walk along the beach fron without having someone stop you every 10 yards and ask if you want a massage.
Read 285 Progreso Reviews