Carnival Triumph Cruise Review by wgb7428

Member Name: wgb7428
Cruise Date: February 2012
Embarkation: Galveston
Cabin Category: 4A

A lot better than I expected
I first sailed on Carnival in 2010 and was the worst cruise ever, but friends said that the four day cruised were usually pretty bad. Carnival has recently move the Trimuph to galveston so I figured I'd try the five day.

Drove to the port from home, it just doesn't pay to fly from Dallas, can drive quicker. Arrived same time as last cruise and was supprised that they had all their check in lines open. Last time they closed all but two at 1200. The line to check in moved along at a steady pace and was on board in no time. The one thing I don't understand about Carnival is why do they kick you out of your room early, but can't have the rooms ready until 1330? Both my Princess cruises we went straight to our room. On Carnival we have to haul our carry on items up to the buffet.

Room was nothing to brag about. I guess they don't clean other than vacuum after the last guest left. Still had hair and dirt in the drawers and hair and dirt all over the toilet. The bar soap and tooth paste was a nice surprise from their standard soap and shampoo on the shower wall. The bathroom was a nice size and the sink had space to lay out your medicine, toothpast, tooth brush comb and razor. The shower had plenty of room that you wern't getting mugged by the shower curtain.

Had early seating in the London Dining Room. Plenty of room in two story room. There was a lot of space between tables, no need to bump into the table next to you to get up from your chair or for waiters to pass. Our waiter Ernie was terriffic. I wish I could remember the name of the maitre'd. He did a good job of speaking with the guests nightly. He had the waiters give a little show each night during service. He also gave the wine tasting class that I really enjoyed because I've never been much of a wine person. Some nights the food quality was really good others it was just so so.

Activities were the Carnival standard, hairy chest, Master Mixologist contest and lots of bingo. I will admit that Tex the cruise director did a good job with his spin-off games. The Game of Love and 60 Seconds or Less had everyone rolling in the isles.

The nightly entertainment was for the most part pretty good, though the male vocalist just doesn't cut it. I thought Wonderful World was better than The Big Easy. I was surprised that Showcase of The Stars was as good as it was. It was guests singing what they wanted with the ship band. The best night was New Wave Magic.

We arrived on time back in Galveston which is sometimes a problem with the fog. I wish Carnival could be a bit more organized with their disembarkation process. Everyone has to be out of their room by 0800 or 0830 and everybody is sitting with there carry on luggage (or for those that think their saving time by taking all their bags with them) on the Promenade or Lido deck until called. I've got an idea let the people that have their bags waiting on the dock get off the ship first then let the people that want to lug their stuff drag it off at the end.

I will say this was a lot better then what I was expecting. Even though I've now seen both ports and the activities and food is repetitious I may take this ship again for a short get away.

Publication Date: 03/03/12