Marina Cruise Review by Oklahoma Girl: Islands in the Sun - Feb. 16 - 26, 2012

Member Since 2011

Compare Prices on Marina Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Islands in the Sun - Feb. 16 - 26, 2012

Sail Date: February 2012

My husband and I just returned from a 10 day cruise in the Caribbean on the Oceania Marina. He described the food as the best ever, and he is not a person given to superlatives. We both felt that the service was outstanding - the best we've ever had. Everyone was friendly, helpful, and seemed genuinely interested in serving us.

We enjoyed all the speciality restaurants. Again, my husband, who is a meat and potatoes person, found something that he really liked at each of the restaurants. He fussed about going to all except the Polo Grill, and then enjoyed his meal at each one. We loved the Terrace Cafe for breakfast and dinner. Waves was perfect for lunch. We ate in the Grand Dining Room for one dinner and one breakfast and the service was outstanding. The food was about the same as we got at the Terrace.

We liked the idea of country club casual. We appreciated that no photographers were slowing us down or insisting on taking pictures. The fact that soft drinks and More bottled water were included was nice. The entertainers on the ship were talented and friendly.

The one ship shore excursion that we took was good.

Everything was well organized until we disembarked. That was the only snag of our trip and could have been easily avoided. We rode the elevator down in the terminal building. It was packed and we were in the front. We turned to the left as we got off and did not notice that everyone else turned to the right. There was no one from the ship and no one from security anywhere on that floor. We went outside and then realized that we had not gone through immigration and had not seen our luggage. When we tried to get back in, we were barred from doing so. I don't think the ship's person that stopped us believed that we had gotten out of the building without being stopped. He went to the door that we came out and saw that no one was there. He immediately got a security person in place. He finally found our luggage, but it delayed us about 45 minutes considering that we would have been able to get right into a taxi when we first walked out and it was 45 minutes later before we were finally able to get into one.

We liked all the ports of call except for the Dominican Republic. I heard others complaining about that stop also.

The concierge on Deck 9 was helpful. The cabin stewards were the best we've ever had.

This was definitely an older crowd. The ship was very quiet. It was relaxing.

I would love to go on Oceania again. Less

Read more Marina cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Marina Review >>

Cabin review: Marina Conciege Level Veranda Deck Nine 9073

We were in cabin 9073. It was great for the 2 of us. I loved the balcony. It was mid-ship and seemed easy to get anywhere from our location. The concierge lounge was handy. The shower was too small for my husband, but it was fine for me. The bathroom was nice. There were plenty of hangers in the closet. The cabins stewards were the friendliest we've ever had. They were efficient. It was very quiet.

We took a tour with Antigua Paddles. It was great. The owner's son was our guide and he obviously loves his island the the wildlife and sea creatures that exist there. He was polished and very knowledgable and also kind. The tour made my day. The shops close to the harbor made the trip more enjoyable for my husband. He enjoys looking at the local merchandise.
Read 799 Antigua Reviews

Great beach. No tendering in. Good shops.

I enjoyed St. Barth's more than my husband did. It was so expensive that he wrote it off. We had been thinking of coming here for a week's diving and now we won't. I liked Shell Beach and the fact that it was within walking distance of the tender harbor. The yachts in the harbor were beautiful. It was a gorgeous setting. The stores are nice.

My husband scuba dives and we had been looking at the trip to Tortola to spend a week. I'm glad we had this stop. We decided there are other islands we like better to stay for a week. The ship tour we took was good. It was a coast to coast island tour. The guide was interesting. We got to see around the whole island. The road system is poor. The people appeared to be poor.
Read 501 Tortola Reviews

This is a pretty little island. The Baths were the highlight. I found one really cute shop that had nice things at a reasonable price.