Carnival Glory Cruise Review by surfawahine

Public Rooms 5+
Spa & Fitness 5+
Shore Excursions 5+
Value-for-Money 5+

Great vacation, pleasent ship, excellent crew
After reading several negative reviews about the Glory, mostly about food quality, waiting in lines, and tons of kids, I wanted to express our experience this last Feb 19, 2012 sailing from Miami to the W. Caribbean. This was my fourth cruise (2cd with Carnival, and 2 others with Princess) and my husbands first cruise. He was totally amazed at how wonderful everything was: from ship decor, staff professionalism, activities, food choices, room comfort, to excursions and everything else available on the ship. While we could see that some of the carpeting was a little "tired" but certainly not worn out and the decor a bit "dated" everything was overall very nice and clean. In fact, I was surprised with the public restrooms... the first time I sailed on Carnival (early 2000's Fall Foliage-New England) the public restrooms were almost always dirty and not kept up. This trip everywhere we went everything was spic and span and staff were always in the restrooms keeping them clean.

As for some people complaining about food quality, I have to say that overall the food was excellent. However, we used the buffet for breakfast and can say that the eggs off the line were not the best. So we opted to use the omelette station instead, which was very good. Overall the buffet food quality was excellent, albeit, very salty (my legs were swollen). The dining room food and service was excellent!! My husband enjoyed eating prime rib, lobster, chateaubriand, broiled salmon, trying alligator fritters, frog legs and other specialties. I am a spoiled brat when it comes to excellent food having "retired" from fine dining in five star resorts (Luxury Collection & Ritz Carlton) and working for celebrity Chef's, so I know good food and wine. Also good was the Mongolian Wok and the Burrito Bar. We didn't get a chance to try the Sushi bar or the Steak House... there was so much good food and not enough time to try them all. Our service team was funny, attentive and professional: Gultekin, Aleksander and Dewa.

As for tons of kids and waiting in lines, well this sailing was "full" and there were lots of families with kids. It seemed that most of the kids were involved with the Carnival Kids program and not that noticeable. We hung out by the Serenity Area for adults only and completely enjoyed it. The main pool area had a variety of singles, older couples and lots of families and everyone was having a great time with the big screen, entertainers and cruise director.

Lines... during peak times, yes. But I didn't think it was terrible. You just had to plan your day accordingly. After dinner we would head over to a lounge and chat up some of the staff (Jolene from South Africa is extremely funny and super nice) and then head over to the nightclub and work off dinner! Midnight pizza or shall I say, 3am pizza was a perfect "hit the spot" snack after dancing all night too. The pizza was good, not excellent, but a heck of allot better than store bought.

Overall, this was a great trip, nice ship and crew. Did we mention we LOVED the itinerary, except we would have loved to hit Belize, but we enjoyed the re-route in Costa Maya just fine.

Publication Date: 03/03/12