Pacific Jewel Cruise Review by cruisin-m: Not what P&O used to be.

cruisin-m
Member Since 2009

Cabin Not Rated

Not what P&O used to be.

Sail Date: January 2012
Destination: Australia & New Zealand
Embarkation: Sydney (Australia)

Will try and keep this succinct, to the point and as honest as possible. I hope this is appreciated.

Embarkation: Was as smooth as always, on in no time.

Cabin: Was comfortable and kept spotlessly clean by our fabulous cabin steward who was always smiling and nothing seemed like too much trouble for her. Towel animals every second night.

Public areas: Were okay, I guess they were comfortable and clean but they certainly lacked that "wow" factor that I've experienced on every other cruise I've been on including other P&O ships. There did seem like a lack of entertainment spaces on board compared to other ships with the prime location for a great entertainment space wasted as a spa facility. The "Attic" or the nightclub was also very uninspired and boring.

Waterfront Food: I used to rave about P&O food but this has definitely gone downhill considerably. The quality of meats and ingredients has clearly declined as a result of cost cutting. For example I More had the same scotch fillet I had six months earlier on another P&O ship, yet on the Jewel the actual quality of the cut was so far inferior and not palatable to the original one I had, which I remember to this day because of how nice it was.

Buffet food: Other then breakfast it looked unappealing and for the most part tasted the exact same way. Even breakfast was next to impossible to get bacon or toast that wasn't stone cold.

La Luna: Definitely not worth the $20 cover charge, plenty of food but it just wasn't that nice. The dining room provided much better food then here. Maybe if you enjoyed Asian cuisine a lot you may enjoy this experience. To be fair the duck was delicious but that was about it.

Entertainment: A highlight, once again P&O provided unbeatable entertainment, great shows both production and guest entertainers bar one piano according player who just wasn't my cup of tea. One of the entertainment staff "Basil" loved himself so much he chose to sing every second song of karaoke while passengers were missing out, when karaoke ended about 10 people who signed up missed out because this guy wouldn't stop singing and he was boring to watch, at least the passengers were entertaining! Only flaw in their entertainment.

Broken ship!!: Technical problems meant the ship limped from port to port, we had to miss the fjords and Napier because the ships engines were broken and we wouldn't have made it around in time. This seems a rather common occurrence on board Pacific Jewel for technical issues to arise.

Drinks: Cocktails have all been hiked by around $3 each drink which considering the dodgy house spirits they use in them now as well, they are heavily overpriced. It definitely reflected on the number of people drinking them in my opinion.

What's missing: Afternoon tea axed, fruit or ornamental displays axed, no holding of wine overnight anymore.

Overall: We had an enjoyable cruise (of course) it just lacked a lot of the "wow" and that great experience that I have come to expect from cruising.
Lets hope this was a one off and P&O get their act together again. Less

Read more Pacific Jewel cruise reviews >>