Celebrity Silhouette Cruise Review by 1865JFK: Love Cruising

Love Cruising

Sail Date: October 2011
Destination: Europe - Eastern Mediterranean
Embarkation: Other

I took the 10/10/11 Holy land cruise together with 2 other friends, after spending 2 nights in Rome at a pre booked Celebrity Hotel. The hotel was comfortable, clean & friendly & the Celebrity staff was very accommodating.
The Silhouette very new & almost like the Equinox that I had taken in 11/10, to the Panama Canal. I was a little disappointed as when I booked we were supposed to go to Alexandria as well, which was cancelled due to the problems in Egypt. My friends were thrilled as it gave them 4 days in Israel to see everything with friends of mine who are licensed tour guides. The son who is an archaeologist for the government in Haifa & the father who is a retired geologist when we were in Ashdod. They covered everything in the north and as far south as Masada & the Dead Sea as well as Jerusalem.
Our room attendants were superb as was our dining room waiter & assistant waiter. Our waiter left after this cruise on vacation to get married, but we were so thrilled with More our assistant waiter, that we requested that we sit at one of his tables (only 2 of us remained) for the transatlantic cruise to Bayonne on 10/22/11.

We changed cabins for the 10/22, cruise to the one we booked on deck 9 also concierge class when on the Equinox in 11/10. Our cabin steward was also very good but his assistant was not as good as the one in 1027.
As far as the food it was not the same as the Millennium in 2006 or Azamara Journey in 2009. Tops was the Millennium Westbound in 2006. The menu was even different (not as broad) even than the Equinox in 2010, but was satisfying.
The specialty restaurants were just so-so.

I am taking the Constellation on 3/24/12, in C1 and I was very disappointed to hear that Escargot has been taken off the menu as that is one of my favorite appetizers as well as the cold soups. The items being added according to one of the posts, do not interest me at all except for the whole lobster being added. I hope I can request the Escaragot or I will be very unhappy.

The Captain did a great job as our crossing from Lisbon to Bayonne was a rough one, but he went out of the way to make it a smooth sailing. We encountered 50 foot waves & winds in excess of 60 miles per hour. Our balcony on deck 9 was coated with salt & the outside decks were closed to passengers for most of the crossing. In all I still love Celebrity and have finally attained Elite Status which I am looking forward to the add'l perks. I will say however, that I would not take another Cruise Ship into Port Liberty New Jersey. Luggage was not where it was supposed to be, had to take a bus from the ship to the luggage/customs area & they are totally understaffed. Did not leave the ship until after noontime (after complaining) and had to catch a plane leaving at 1:15 PM. Just made it because the plane was leaving a few minutes late. I also had to jump the line in immigration. Less

Read more Celebrity Silhouette cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Silhouette Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Silhouette Concierge Class Panorama Deck (9) 1027

Not enough closet space or drawer space & we were only 2 in a cabin. Bathroom was beautiful, well lit, shower doors are a great asset, but hand held shower would have been nice. Also I missed the Elemis products previously given such as soap, shampoo, body lotion, etc. On Azamara they gave out large bottles of the items mentioned, instead of us having to keep asking for extras.

The 1st day, my friends son picked us up early & dropped me off at the University to visit the archeological museum, while he took my friends touring in his private car. They did not return to the ship until 7:00 PM, but they had a wonderful time seeing all the Christian sites. The museum was very interesting & the staff friendly and accomodating. They do not open until 10:00AM so I had to wait an hour. Going back to the ship I could not find a taxi, so took a bus and had a wonderful one hour bus ride seeing many different neighborhoods and people. The driver could not be nicer. I walked the wrong way and couldn't find my way back to the ship across the railroad tracks. I aksed a family who was getting into their car & they drove me back to the bridge that I walked across to get back. The second day while my friends were out touring again, I enjoyded sleeping late and relaxing on the ship until they returned & we sailed off for Ashdod, as I had been to Haifa previously and had seen all the sights.
Read 88 Haifa Reviews

Having been there twice prior I spent the two days with my friend who lives there, while my other 2 friends took their tours with her husband. The 1st day I had a private tour of the Pediatric Oncology Dept at Hadassah Hospital as well as other parts of the hospital. The U.S. should take a lesson from Israel on how to treat their patients & for their innovative safety measures in times of crisis. That day we also went to the Old City (where I had been before), had lunch there & then coffee in a restaurant (in a mall attached to the old city) & waited for my other two touring friends to join us. In the evening we went to the Sound & Light Show at the Tower of David in the old city. It is amazing & must be seen by all who can make it. The second day while my friends were touring I took a cab to the train station & a train to Tel Aviv to meet my friend. We had lunch at a waterfront restaurant & then I returned to the ship the way I came. Be aware of the Taxi Drivers in Port. They wanted $80 U.S. to go from the Exit of the Port to Tel Aviv (one way). It cost 50 shekels from the Port Exit to the Train each way & being a Senior Citizen the train cost me 19 shekels round trip to Tel Aviv. (The shekel was about 3 3/4 to a dollar). The train ride was very comfortable even if they do not travel very fast, like we are used to.

Walked around the waterfront portion of the Island looking in shops & had lunch in a restaurant. Transportation for this area was not necessary. Since it was an October cruise and in port during the day, going to the beach or a nightclub was not on the agenda. I had been there prior & loved the beaches.
Read 375 Mykonos Reviews

We had prearranged with a guide prior to leaving the U.S. We went to Sorrento and along the Amalfi Coast, stopping when we wanted to. It was quite expensive for the day, but since 3 of us were sharing the cost it was not too bad ($500 Euros). We were picked up at the port, did shopping and had lunch at a local restaurant in Sorrento & then drove along the Amalfi Coast to a hotel with a magnificent view & very costly rooms. The cheapest room in season about $2,000 euros a day. Got back to the ship in time to sail off again. I forgot to say that we started the day at Pompeii
Read 642 Naples Reviews

We walked around downtown visiting stores & had lunch in a Chinese restaurant before returning to the ship.
Read 102 Palermo Reviews

City Tour

(4)
Part of Rome by Night Tour. This was booked because one friend had never been to Rome before and one had only been there during the day. The tour also included dinner.