Celebrity Silhouette Cruise Review by 1865JFK

Cruise Date: October 2011
Embarkation: other
Destination: Eastern Mediterranean
Cabin Category: C3
See More About: Celebrity Silhouette Cruise Reviews | Eastern Mediterranean Cruise Reviews | Celebrity Cruise Deals

Love Cruising
I took the 10/10/11 Holy land cruise together with 2 other friends, after spending 2 nights in Rome at a pre booked Celebrity Hotel. The hotel was comfortable, clean & friendly & the Celebrity staff was very accommodating.

The Silhouette very new & almost like the Equinox that I had taken in 11/10, to the Panama Canal. I was a little disappointed as when I booked we were supposed to go to Alexandria as well, which was cancelled due to the problems in Egypt. My friends were thrilled as it gave them 4 days in Israel to see everything with friends of mine who are licensed tour guides. The son who is an archaeologist for the government in Haifa & the father who is a retired geologist when we were in Ashdod. They covered everything in the north and as far south as Masada & the Dead Sea as well as Jerusalem.

Our room attendants were superb as was our dining room waiter & assistant waiter. Our waiter left after this cruise on vacation to get married, but we were so thrilled with our assistant waiter, that we requested that we sit at one of his tables (only 2 of us remained) for the transatlantic cruise to Bayonne on 10/22/11.

We changed cabins for the 10/22, cruise to the one we booked on deck 9 also concierge class when on the Equinox in 11/10. Our cabin steward was also very good but his assistant was not as good as the one in 1027.

As far as the food it was not the same as the Millennium in 2006 or Azamara Journey in 2009. Tops was the Millennium Westbound in 2006. The menu was even different (not as broad) even than the Equinox in 2010, but was satisfying.

The specialty restaurants were just so-so.

I am taking the Constellation on 3/24/12, in C1 and I was very disappointed to hear that Escargot has been taken off the menu as that is one of my favorite appetizers as well as the cold soups. The items being added according to one of the posts, do not interest me at all except for the whole lobster being added. I hope I can request the Escaragot or I will be very unhappy.

The Captain did a great job as our crossing from Lisbon to Bayonne was a rough one, but he went out of the way to make it a smooth sailing. We encountered 50 foot waves & winds in excess of 60 miles per hour. Our balcony on deck 9 was coated with salt & the outside decks were closed to passengers for most of the crossing. In all I still love Celebrity and have finally attained Elite Status which I am looking forward to the add'l perks. I will say however, that I would not take another Cruise Ship into Port Liberty New Jersey. Luggage was not where it was supposed to be, had to take a bus from the ship to the luggage/customs area & they are totally understaffed. Did not leave the ship until after noontime (after complaining) and had to catch a plane leaving at 1:15 PM. Just made it because the plane was leaving a few minutes late. I also had to jump the line in immigration.

Publication Date: 03/01/12