Carnival Pride Cruise Review by GoddessofJava: Winter Adventure

Compare Prices on Carnival Pride Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Winter Adventure

Sail Date: February 2012
Embarkation: Baltimore

I don't cruise nearly as often as I'd like to, but will probably make more of an effort to do so more often, as I love it! This cruise was with my parents, husband and son. My parents cruise often, my husband had only been on one cruise, my son (16) on none.

The Carnival Pride was a nice ship decor-wise for my family. My husband is a fantasy artist, so of course his background has a strong Italian Renaissance influence.

Embarkation was relatively smooth. There was one issue with rooms, as my mother and husband had their rooms swapped, but this was handled at the check in with no problems. After that, it was just a matter of walking on board with no problems whatsoever.

We made our way to the Lido deck for a buffet, which was... well, a buffet. The food was tasty and well-cooked, but hey, buffets aren't generally inspiring. I have a strong preference for dining rooms. (More on that later).

We were slightly delayed departing due to a medical More emergency, but I think it would have been better to go ahead and wait to make sure a passenger is okay than risk a medical emergency at sea.

The stateroom was what I expect out of a ship's stateroom. It was small, but it was clean and well-cared-for. It's not where I intend to spend my time on a cruise, so if it's clean, in good repair and comfortable, that's all I care about. The stewards were competent and attentive. I didn't need any special service, so I can say they did their jobs well, but I didn't give them any real opportunities for "above and beyond".

Now, the dining room was wonderful. The food was quite good, so I puzzle at some of the complaints. Our waiters were cheerful and attentive, and really added positively to the whole experience. We ate at the late sitting, and it worked out well in terms of making sure we could participate in activities. The menu was varied and I liked that they had opportunities to try dishes one might not ordinarily try. It was a nice feature.

The cruise director was competent and did organize fun activities, but I'm going to have to say I've never really seen such a laid-back cruise director before. Usually, the job calls for some serious high energy show-boating, but Brett wasn't like that.

The shows were pretty varied. While some were quite good (and the young lady who was the lead singer most nights was AMAZING) some seemed a bit disjointed and thrown-together, not using the talents of the performers as well as it could. The comics were quite funny.

My son chose not to participate in the O2 club, but he had a delightful time nonetheless. At least, he's eager to go on another cruise, so I think Carnival may have a future customer there. There were a LOT of teenagers on board, but weren't causing trouble, so clearly were kept busy enjoying themselves.

Ports of call were handled smoothly. The Freeport snorkling excursion was cancelled due to weather. Disappointing, but not too bad, as we were able to hop a taxi to Lucaya and enjoy the lovely beach. Less

Read more Carnival Pride cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Pride Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Pride Oceanview Riviera 1224

The winds were pretty high and the seas choppy when we came to Freeport, so our snorkling excursion was cancelled. Instead, we went to Lucaya beach and enjoyed ourselves for a few hours on the sand, playing in the waves. The taxi was $10/person round trip from port to beach, and left on a regular basis. Both drivers were eager to tell about the Grand Bahama island, and we enjoyed the lecture along with the ride. The shops right at the port are small, but if you're interested in finding some cute things, there is a variety. Due to the short duration of our visit, I did not get my hair braided here, though as it was much cheaper than in Nassau, I certainly would have if I'd had the time.
Read 773 Freeport Reviews

City Tour

(4)
The city tour was pretty good, but I really wish the guides had gone more in-depth about the history of the city and its various landmarks. We got a very shallow version, and it was a bit disappointing because I wanted my son, especially, to have an opportunity to learn more. Even so, we did learn a bit and saw a lot more of the island than my husband and I had the last time we'd visited Nassau.

Kennedy Space Center

(5.5)
This was amazing and I am sorry I had not made an effort to see it sooner. The busses to get there and back were comfortable, the guides informative and charming, and the Space Center itself is a must-see, in my strong opinion. Was really glad we did it.