Celebrity Silhouette Cruise Review by Long Island Girl: Worst cruise ever - norovirus nightmare

Long Island Girl
Member Since 2011

Compare Prices on Celebrity Silhouette Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Worst cruise ever - norovirus nightmare

Sail Date: January 2012
Embarkation: Other

I booked this cruise with my sister as a getaway to recoup and relax from our everyday stresses. It had a few moments of relaxation but far more moments of "What are we doing on this cruise?" At first glance, the Silhouette looks like a beautiful ship, but on closer inspection it fails to please in so many ways. Before I begin, I was one of the hundreds (yes, hundreds) of passengers that got the norovirus - a very nasty illness that begins most likely by unhygienic food handlers and spreads like wildfire on contact. Once you have it, Celebrity confines you to isolation in your room and basically writes you off from there. More on this later...

I am not foolish enough to expect the food to be on the level of the days of Michel Roux, but it seems to get more bland every time we book another cruise. It isn't terrible, and it is plentiful, and the service in the MDR is efficient, but nothing stands out as special, not even the desserts. However, the chairs in the MDR are More another story. The seating is unbelievably uncomfortable. They are big, heavy, half round chairs with no back support or "movability". They are so heavy the waiters have to move them for you and even they struggle with them - what were you thinking Celebrity????

Now the artwork - all I can say is eeeyuk. Some of the pictures were downright garish with a heavy "blood-red" tone that was actually gruesome. Check out the pictures on the wall in the solarium which look like they are highlighting the runny brains of the back of ladies' heads. And another one by the center elevators (I think on the Oceanview Cafe deck) is a blood-red picture of a person called "Upon" that actually has devils faces in the corners! The pictures in our room looked like blood splatters under a microscope slide - try looking at that when your puking your brains out with the norovirus! Also, on the way to Michael's Club, there is an anteroom that looks like a rain-forest complete with bird twitterings. It wouldn't have been bad, expect it smelled like a sewer as you passed through it! In general, a lot of the seating was dark, uncomfortable and gloomy looking. Also, storage in cabins was sparce but the bathroom was nice.

The pools and the solarium are very nice, except for the loud piped in music. They play the same jarring continuous "jazz-type" music (no particular songs) that actually hurt my ears after awhile. Very annoying to anyone reading or snoozing. And where is the "connection" to the Caribbean on this ship. There was not one bit of "island flavor" to speak of - no reggae music, no barbecue at the pool, no waiters in colorful shirts, no colorful, "islandy" anything - dull, dull, dull.

Disembarkation: We were notified, by letter, that because I had the norovirus, we were to stay in our rooms and someone was to escort us off the ship at 9:15. By 10:15 no one had come and the cabin stewart told us to leave. A call to guest relations told us to stay. Now the hazmat guys were outside and told us to leave. Finally someone came to take us to the lobby. Another half hour wait until they finally let us off the ship. Our suitcases were completely wrapped in plastic. The plastic caught in one of the wheels and broke - bag is wrecked. Sent an email to Celebrity about the bag and so far they acknowledged the email but have not paid for it. I won't hold my breath for them to do the right thing.

This cruise has been a big game-changer for me. We are booked on another Celebrity cruise in June that was done before this cruise, but after that there are some serious doubts about booking any more cruises in the future. Less

Read more Celebrity Silhouette cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Silhouette Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Silhouette Oceanview Stateroom Sunrise Deck (7) 3105

Closet space is much smaller than on other Celebrity ships. Not much drawer space and bins over beds are difficult to get to. Bathroom is beautiful. Proximity to front elevators is great as well as gangway to piers.