Carnival Victory Cruise Review by jcs8192

Carnival Victory
Carnival Victory
Member Name: jcs8192
Cruise Date: March 2005
See More About: Carnival Victory Cruise Reviews | Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Carnival Cruise Deals
        10-12 1.0
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Carnival Victory - Eastern Caribbean
The Victory should be a great ship. Unfortunately, it smelled of smoke in some areas and of sewage in interior areas. The food is uninspired. On the Elation the food was wonderful. Here, the Indian chef did a great job on vegetables but served up rubbery lobster tails, dry lamb shanks, overcooked fish and stringy poultry. The beef was actually the best choice at all meals but who should eat that much beef for a week? Our bathroom had a strong mildew odor. It also had a hair dryer badly mended with duct tape. The sink area was clean. The toilet worked but had a distinct odor at times which were unrelated to use. Our balcony was very nice but the chair was so low to the deck that it was quite hard to get out of. Since our cabin was aft, it vibrated due to the diesel engines turning. Not a pleasant sensation when trying to sleep. We never met the steward in the whole week. Our room was cleaned during first seating dinner at 5:45. Turndown was combined with cleaning. This was in spite of the please make up room card which I placed on the door each morning. The pool area is too small. After 7 a.m. there are no chairs left to sunbathe by the pools. This is very disappointing on at sea days.

The ship's announcements are constantly pushing the added cost activities. I was so sick of the daily shop specials and art auctions being drummed into my ears that I boycotted them after a couple of days. I went to the spa as I always do but encountered a much harder sell than on other Carnival ships. My spa bill was $1500. I had a pedicure and was urged to buy $400 worth of products to use at home on my feet. I did like one of the products and said yes to a bottle of milk bath. $90 for 14 ounces. Be careful in this spa as prices are never mentioned. You don't know the costs until you sign your slip. The entertainment in the big room is good. The piano bar was nice but we couldn't stay for more than 3 or 4 minutes without choking from the cloud of smoke. The Ionian room would have been perfect but was also a smoking lounge. We were able to stay there because the smoke wasn't as thick. I would not sail on the Victory again.

Publication Date: 08/08/05