Mariner of the Seas Cruise Review by Rhosie: Good But Not Great for Cruise Wedding

Rhosie
Member Since 2011

Family & Children 5.5

Compare Prices on Mariner of the Seas Western Caribbean Cruises

Good But Not Great for Cruise Wedding

Sail Date: February 2012
Embarkation: Galveston

Cruised with 30 family members and friends to the Western Caribbean, with a stop on Grand Cayman for our daughter's wedding. First issue arose because we booked through a travel agent. The travel agent was very, very nice and did her job well, but the problem is that once you book with a travel agent, you cannot make ANY arrangements with Royal Caribbean without the assistance of that agent. When you're trying to plan a family event like a wedding, this can become a problem.

Here's what I liked about RC:
--Fabulous service in the dining room
--Delicious desserts
--Good entertainment most evenings
--Good day-time onboard activities
--BEAUTIFUL ship (loved it)

Here's what I did not like:
--Ultra expensive wedding options...least expensive option costs as much as a balcony cabin for two people.
--Customer service staff struggled to understand English. Called down to ask where to locate a hair dryer and was told there were no hair dryers on More board. I carefully asked the CS agent if I understood her correctly -- that NO ONE on board had access to hair dryers and she said that no one did, that they are a safety concern, and there were no hair dryers on board. Two days later I asked a family member how she made her hair look so great without a hair dryer...she told me the hair dryers were in the stateroom vanity drawers.
--Second English language problem with customer service, this time with a broken item for the wedding party's flower girl. CS agent said the ship's carpenter could help us fix it, took the item, and promptly lost it. Five hours later, WE found it (not the CS agent)...still sitting on the CS desk after the CS agent had argued with us twice and said it couldn't be located.
--The CS desk manager made up for all the problems by giving us personal assistance with the wedding...and it was a good thing she did. We discovered from her that it would have been impossible to get the things we needed off the ship without special clearance. We discovered this after having talked to three or four RC phone agents about the wedding plans as much as six weeks before sailing. It was almost a disaster.

RC's best suggestion when I was searching for alternatives for the wedding ceremony was to have the kids get married state-side and have a commemorative wedding on board for $500. I understand now why they suggested it. Ultimately, though, the beach wedding that we enjoyed on Grand Cayman Island was fabulous and it's sad that RC can't come up with an option for this that doesn't cost $2,500. As it was, I paid a total of $1,500 for the island-based wedding planner, all legal documents, the ceremony and minister, one-way transportation for all wedding guests, and five bottles of champagne to enjoy at dinner. It was worth every penny. Still, I would have gone through much less stress if RC had offered a ship-based wedding planner. For this mother-of-the-bride, it was a stress-filled trip. Less

Read more Mariner of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Mariner of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Mariner of the Seas Interior Stateroom Deck 6 8533

Quiet location, average closet and storage space for an interior cabin, good location for accessing the Solarium adult deck; poor location for accessing meals. Food experience discounted to a 3 from a 4 by poor selection at breakfast and lunch. Same thing every day. Egg dishes were particularly flavorless.

Second time visiting Cozumel in one year. Unfortunately, I think I was too stressed by wedding issues to enjoy it.
Read 3120 Cozumel Reviews

Enjoyed the small port area and then took a private excursion to Rose Hall and Montego Bay. Loved it -- especially Margaritaville and the water slide into the sea. This mother of the bride was ready to rock and roll into the ocean. Finally had a few minutes to laugh and truly relax. It was much needed.
Read 483 Falmouth Reviews

Even though Coconut Car Rental lost our reservation three times and never showed up, the after-wedding bus service was on time and fabulous. We had to rely on cabs before the wedding, and the drivers were fantastic when we told them what we needed and why we were. We met some very, very sweet people on the island. Thank you!