Carnival Magic Cruise Review by SDH Cruise Girl

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Carnival Magic Cruise Review by SDH Cruise Girl
Carnival Magic
Carnival Magic
Member Name: SDH Cruise Girl
Cruise Date: February 2012
Embarkation: Galveston
Cabin Category: 4S
Cabin Number: 12022

The Real Deal on the Magic Ship
We went on the Carnival Magic for our three year wedding Anniversary. I am a big spa girl so I was very excited that we had booked a spa room. I book my spa treatments on line before we cruised so that I could book a few at a time when I had the money. I had a spa treatment every day and on formal night I had three spa treatments. I was read to relax and be pampered. We got to the terminal and we were not VIP this year because we did not book a suite. So the line was long as to be expected. Once we got our sign and sale card we were ready to board. It took about 45 min once we got in line to the time we were on board. Our room was awesome. We have beautiful art work and the closet space was large enough for all my shoes. :-) The bath room had great storage space and was big compaired to the typical cruise ship bath room. I had enough room on the sink counter to put all my stuff. That is a big deal for a girl. We also got upgraded spa products in our room. That was nice. So the room gets an A+. With the spa room you get unlimited access to the thermal suites. We used this everyday. They have a hot tub that looks like a pool. There is windows all around and the best part is that there was never more than 4 to 5 people in there at a time. So it was very romintic. We would sit in the hot tub and watch the beautiful water go by. Then we went into the dry sauna that has heated ceramic chairs. Another favorite. We would site in the heated chair and look out the floor to ceiling glass window as we sailed away from port. There was never more than 4 people in here and most of the time it was just us. So it was so ramontic. Then next to the dry sauna is the wet sauna. It was so steamy that you could not see people in the room. There is also floor to ceiling windows and two round ceramic stools in front of the window. I would sit on them in yoga easy pose and just breathe. It was great. My husband was not into the wet sauna becaue it was too hot. But I give the termal suites an A+. The top deck above the spa is the Serinity adult only area. Love it! We always had a space there and it was so quite. We would lay in the big round chairs all day and I would read my book. This area was never crouded and we always had a spot. The hot tubs would get crouded. Most times there were about 6 people in them. The Serinity area gets and A+. We dined at the steak house on our Anniversary. It was $30 per person but well worth it. The service was great and the food was great and the food was beautiful. We took photos of the food because it was so pretty. We made reservations on line prior to sailing so that we go a table when we wanted. We had no problems getting in. It was very quiet and romantic dinner for our Anniversary. The steak house gets an A+. The tides pool was also a favorite because there was a lot of seating and we would go up to the top deck and sitting in these two wicker chairs that looked out over the sea. We would have our tea/coffee and just relax. The pool in this area was also quieter than the Beach Pool. So it is a must if you want to relax and chill out. If you want to get drunk and party, go to the beach pool. So the Tides Pool gets an A+. We also enjoyed the sea side theater. After dinner we would head up to the sea side theater and sit in on of the wicker loung beds and just relax. Very romantic!!!! We did not even care what move was playing, we were under the stars and it was awesome. This area was never crouded so it felt like just the two of us.

Now to the things that sucked. I am a Vegan and that always sucks on vacation. I eat only fresh fruit for breakfast. The only fresh fruit they had a breakfast was canilop,greapfruit, and honeydue. My hubby loved a big beacon and egg buffet so he was in heaven. Then lunch also sucked. I eat only salad for lunch so the salad was good but they only have cucumber, tomato, lettuce, and carrots on the salad bar. My hubby loves the mexican taco bar, the deli, the pizza bar, so he was in heaven. I made the salad bar work. Dinner was bad. They had no salad for an entre and the vegiterian option was not vegan so it was made with cheese and eggs. I am allergic to both of those items so it was a no for me. Plus the vegiterian option was not healthy. It was a rich dish. So for a few nights I had to eat fish or I would have starved. I am allergice to tuna and shrimp but on a few nights they did have a white fish and I am not allergic to that so I ate it. I am also allergic to gluten. So no gluten free bread either. I know that cruise ships don't cater to someone with this many allergies but on other ships they did serve large salads at dinner so I did not have a problem. My hubby liked most of the dinner but did not think they had a very good menu. On the entier menu there was maybe two items that you would even tryed. I mean, if I was not allergic to everything, there would have been only a few items I would have tried. My hubby agreed. So main dinning gets a C+ because of the varity.

I also took the yoga classes. If you are an advanced yogi, don't bother. These classes are very very gental yoga. They have classes until 5:00 pm in the yoga room so it is hard to have a place to do your yoga practice. I could do it in a public area but no one wants to see me put my legs behind my head and hold my body up with my hands. So no doing my yoga practice in a public space, like the outdoor sports courts. All in all the gym was nice and I give it a B+ but if you are an advanced yogi you may have some problems with it.

The next item that really killed it was the spa treatments. This is the saddest part of the story. I had a spa treatment everyday. The treatments were the best I have ever had and I loved them. But after every treatment after you are totally relaxed and your brain is in the clouds they come into the treatment room and try to sale you all their products. The last think I want to do after a treatment is think logical about something and calculate cost of products. I am a spa girl so I have my own spacific vegan, organic, products (that I am not allergic too). So when I was not interested they became very pushy and would ask why I don't care about myself and that my health is imortant. They would try everything including telling me that with one drop of oil behind my ear every night that all of my pains would be gone forever. It was like having a telemarketer on vacation and I had 10 of these treatments to go thru. On our Anniversary night we had a romantic couples massage booked. It was perfect. The massage was the best I ever had and we were so relaxed. We had wine chilling for us when we got back to the room so we were very excited to get back there. After the treatment they talked for 15 min about there products after we said that we were not interested. I guess I could have been rude and walked out but that would have been just as upsetting on a night that was going to be perfect. So the treatments are great but be prepaired to be stalked if you don't just buy the products. VERY UPSETTING!

Then I had order a special cake to be delivered to our room on our Anniversary night. The cake was delivered at 11:00 pm and I had requested it at 8:00 pm. My hubby bought me some flowers and requested them be delivered at 8:00 pm so I would have them when we got back from dinner but they delivered them at 9:00 am while I was in the room. This litle mess up was dissappointing but we did not let any of this spoil our special week. We loved our vacation and our time together. Just a warrning for those who might be booking a romantic vacation with their someone special. Next year we are doing a B&B in Hawaii. No cruise for us.

Publication Date: 02/29/12