Disney Wonder Cruise Review by minnie101

Cruise Date: February 2012
Embarkation: Los Angeles
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Cabin Category: 6A
See More About: Disney Wonder Cruise Reviews | Mexican Riviera Cruise Reviews | Disney Cruise Deals
Entertainment 5+
        Under 3 5.0
        3-6 5.0

Ship Facts: Disney Wonder Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Disney Wonder Deck Plans
Wonderful Family Vacation
We had a wonderful time on our family vacation. There was 4 of us in total. 2 adults, and 2 children ages 5 and 18 months. Embarkation was painless. There was a bit of a delay in embarking but the wait was not too long. As you enter the ship, they welcome you by asking your surname and announce "Please welcome the Smith family!" This was a very nice touch and you immediately feel at home.

Once we boarded, we went straight to Guest Services to reserve for the Princess Tea Party. If you have a young daughter who loves Princesses, this is a must see & do! Space is limited so best to reserve as soon as you get in the ship.

Disney Wonder is a beautiful ship. Our cabin was a category 6A, very spacious and we loved how much storage there was. The sofa converts into a bunk bed. It is an older ship but you don't really notice it, except perhaps the washroom doors inside our room needs to get re-painted -- which is very minor.

The sail away party was a blast. I do have to say that it is quite cold sailing from LA, in the Pacific Ocean so bring a sweater.

During Pirate Night, a lot of people dressed up which was fun to see. You get to take pictures with Captain Hook, Minnie & Mickey dressed up in their pirate gear! Even the servers were dressed up.

The deck party was fun but COLD. A few of us were sceptical that the fireworks show would go on since it was so windy up on the deck. Only complaint is that the fireworks show did not start until 10:30 pm or even a bit later than that. You can tell that some of the kids were getting cranky and sleepy. Needless to say, we did not get a chance to look at what they had to offer for the Midnight Buffet since both of our kids were tired.

Puerto Vallarta was nice. We did the Paradise Beach Excursion. The weather was a mix of rain, clouds and sun. The nice thing about Puerto was if it rains, it only rains for a few minutes, then the sun comes out. The rain doesn't linger too long. The beach was beautiful and there are a few vendors selling some trinkets and beach cover-ups although not a lot of them. The food they served was pretty good, buffet style.

Cabo San Lucas was breathtaking. We lucked out with 2 beautiful days in Cabo. We had the best Mexican Food at a couple of the restaurants near the pier. We did a port adventure called Harbour Scenic Tour and that was relaxing and WINDY! ?

The entertainment on the Wonder was top notch. My daughter especially had a great time watching the shows. My son went to Flounder's Reef a couple of times and enjoyed his stay there. The staff there are wonderful . One of them, Angela stood out and she was just very helpful and professional. It make it easier to leave my son and not worry about him too much.

I brought my runners to go for a run, and I did that on deck 4 seeing that the gym was packed at 7 am -- believe it or not!!!

The Disney characters are everywhere. You'll get a chance to take photos with them -- Mickey/Minnie/Pluto/Goofy/Chip/Dale at the Character Breakfast. If not, they are always in the ship somewhere. The princesses arrived later that week. Warning -- the line ups are huge, so best to be in line AT LEAST half an hour before they are scheduled to take pictures -- this especially goes for the princesses. I'd say they are the most popular ones. To give you an idea, I was there an hour early and I was probably the 20th person in line!

Food ranged from average to being very good. I highly recommend Palo. We had brunch and dinner there. It is well worth the 20 dollars a person they are charging. Service was impeccable and food selection was just impressive. I read somewhere someone comparing the food to Denny's and that's nto my experience at all -- this is coming from someone who appreciates good food! ?

What's great about the cruise is they have these phones that work on the cruise ship so if you and your spouse do different things, you can easily get in touch with them by calling or texting them on the phone -- and it's free of charge.

Photos -- If you plan to buy the CD , it's 250 bucks. Might as well, take as many photographs as you can whenever there is a photo op -- all the pictures will be in the CD. The only thing is the borders are not included in the CD. I decided to order the CD on our last day. There was a huge line up the next day to get your CD. The only downside to this trip is twice they forgot to print some of the photos that we have ordered and paid for, so it was a mad rush to wait and retrieve them from the Shutters (photo place) again on the last day. Check your CD's -- they had forgotten to include 3photos of my daughter. I've contacted DCL and hope to hear from them soon.

Spa -- We booked the Rainforest treatment, and you get to use the steam rooms and showers. It is quite expensive for what you get but it offers some peace and relaxation for adults wishing to have some quiet time.

The ship is big on cleanliness and hygiene. Everywhere you go, anti-bacterial wipes are available. They give it to you before having dinner, before coming back to the cruise ship, before going in the Oceaneer's Club and such.

This cruise really caters to families and kids. They call little girls "princess" everywhere.

Tips: You can decorate your room door using magnets. I'm sure if you google, you'll get an idea of how some people have decorated their room door

Bring a sweater with you -- it can be cold!

Order your CD (photos) earlier to avoid the huge line up on the last day

Make sure you bring your camera everywhere you go -- you'll never know when you bump into the characters (they usually come out of Shutters ).

To those who are leaving to go on this cruise -- have a wonderful time. I sure wish I'm still basking under the sun and relaxing in the Disney Wonder! Enjoy ?

Publication Date: 02/29/12