Polarlys Cruise Review by Edna Rooke: Northern Lights

Northern Lights

Sail Date: February 2012
Destination: Baltic & Northern Europe
Embarkation: Other

The organisation was superb and I could not fault it. It is a warm and cosy ship and spotlessly clean.
The cabin was meant for two people but I had paid for single occupancy and it was therefore just the right size - it would have been cramped for two. The boat stopped at many ports because it is a working boat and nightimes could be really noisy with cars/cargo being unloaded .
If you are thinking that a cruise on this boat is like being on a 'normal' cruise ship you would be wrong. Think- posh ferry instead and then set off with a sense of adventure with many like-minded people and you will have an amazing time.
No entertainment, loud music, casinos etc, but lots of wonderful scenery and a totally realxing experience.
if you are travelling in the winter- do not under-estimate how cold it can be - it had been -35 degrees at one point at the North Cape previous to our visit.
We were very lucky with bearable temperatures- four layers of clothing- and we saw the More Northern Lights!
For anyone for whom photography is a must- I would advise them to spend a couple of nights in Tromso before boarding and catch a tour with one of the guides who will take you to the best place to view the spectacle. Taking photos on board a moving boat is more difficult even with a tripod but I still managed to get some good shots. I had read many articles on the best settings for my camera but the following gave me fantastic shots - use a wide angle lens set on the widest aperture, ISO daylight, and set on infinity. I used TV mode because the light changed so quickly it would not have been possible to keep up with changing the shutter speed. Also- take heat pads to go inside your gloves as your fingers can get frozen on deck in a matter of minutes.
The Northern Lights are really elusive and are not always in bright colours as only the camera lens and not the lens in our eyes can always see the colour. So if you spot big trails of what looks like white moving cloud at night, take a photo! If the 'clouds' are green, it is actually the Northern Lights! Less

Read more Polarlys cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Polarlys Review >>

Cabin review: Polarlys

Cabin number- 323 - good for one person- cramped for two. Also could be really noisy at night.