MSC Musica Cruise Review by bcyrilw: A horrible experience on MSC Musica

A horrible experience on MSC Musica

Sail Date: September 2011
Destination: Europe - Eastern Mediterranean
Embarkation: Venice

As a group of five (including one child) well traveled but first time cruisers, we were very excited about embarking on the spectacular looking MSC Musica.

The ship is new and nice. However, there are just so many people! The only personal space you'll get is in your own cabin. Everywhere else, it's pushing and shoving at the buffet, for a pool lounger, to dis/embark, etc.

The cabins are pokey and simply finished. Some of the fittings such as the carpet, desk top or bathroom fittings are worn or even falling apart. The balconies are nice and large enough for two people to enjoy a sun downer as the world passes by.

We went to two evening theater performances but the quality was 'amateur' at best. The guy is small but sufficient and in a great location just above the bridge. One of my lasting memories was enjoying a treadmill workout as we cruised between the Greek islands.

The restaurant dinners were nice and with a reasonable selection although More you feel rushed as they push you through the courses to get the next sitting in. The buffets were very bland, even the "Indian" themed one! The focus is defiantly on quantity and not quantity.

I know that cruising on big boats is a mass tourism pastime and i didn't expect exceptional personal service on a ship with more than 2,000 passengers. What i didn't expect was to receive such terrible service and rude staff on such a consistent level! We chose not to pay the optional daily service charge but were berated by the guest services officer who firstly told us we couldn't remove the charge, and secondly that the Guest Services Director refused to see us. Sad- it was an opportunity for MSC to receive some genuine feedback but their approach only made us resent their attitude towards their guests more. I took the time to offer some constructive suggestions by completing their Comment Form at the end of the cruise, but the "Guest Services Officer" refused to take it at the "Customer Services Desk", telling me i had to walk to the theater at the other end of the boat to put it in the box there! Wow!

The real icing on the cake was when MSC lost one of our bags upon disembarkation. I duly reported the loss (due to MSC incompetence) and caught my flight home. After ignoring my correspondence they informed me after three months that they are also ignoring their Athens Convention obligations and refuse to pay me a bean. No explanation, just a continuation of the terrible experience I have come to expect from MSC.

We embarked with open minds but found that the reality missed our expectations on almost every count. The killer was the consistently rude service which I would go so far to say ruined our holiday. I'm glad that we did the cruise, even if to know that big boat cruising with MSC isn't for us. Less

Read more MSC Musica cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's MSC Musica Review >>

Cabin review: MSC Musica Balcony Virtuoso Deck

A bit pokey with 'plain' finishes. Some of the fittings such as the carpet, desk top and bathroom fittings were worn or falling apart. The metal ceiling panels vibrated whilst underway- previous passengers had jammed cardboard in the gaps to stop the noise! The acoustic insulation is very poor- especially to the corridor.

The key sites are very crowded, but worth the hustle. There was a transport strike and street demonstrations when we were there (Sept 2011)- we were a bit disappointed that MSC hadn't mentioned this to us upon disembarkation. We only just made it back to the port in time for sailing.

(1)
Nothing special. I suspect that cruise ships call here because of the location (to break up the run up/down the Adriatic) rather than any genuine reason.
Read 105 Bari Reviews

Lovely town- very friendly and welcoming, a great place to relax. It's a nice place to just walk - have a coffee - browse shops - have an ice cream... forget the worries of the world!
Read 272 Corfu Reviews

Beautiful! It's just as beautiful as in the postcards! The walk around the top of the town wall is worth it- great views inside the town, as well as along the rugged coast line.

We enjoyed the taxi ride through the countryside to Olympia. It's understandably a very popular site, but well worth the visit. The row of shops / cafes by the quay side would be a nice place to relax ashore... but we didn't as it was pouring with rain.

Didn't like it at all. This island is everything that's wrong with mass tourism in previously charming destinations. We couldn't work out how it maintains it "party town" reputation when the drinks were unbelievably expensive!
Read 381 Mykonos Reviews

A nice island with pretty villages. It's a challenge getting as shore / back in the boat tenders (the cruise liners anchor in the bay) and the cable car can get very crowded. The walk up / down the hill is an effort but worth it, to avoid the crowds. I would happily have stayed for a few more days in one of the cute boutique hotels with great views...

Nice, but you can't really go wrong in this town! My advise: stuff your map in your pocket and just walk, get lost!
Read 516 Venice Reviews