Carnival Glory Cruise Review by souxiequzy: Carnival Glory does not disappoint

Member Since 2009

Compare Prices on Carnival Glory Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Carnival Glory does not disappoint

Sail Date: January 2012

This is the second time I've cruised on the Carnival Glory. In October 2010 I was on the Glory to New England and Canada from Manhattan. So glad that I researched and read reviews. We decided to book the least expensive cabin on the ship, listed technically as an inside cabin, but comes with two portholes. We were in Cabin 1211, almost to the front of the ship on deck one. It was surprisingly easy to get to the Lido deck for snacks and also getting an elevator for the dining room, etc. was never really a problem. And, for excursions we were just one deck up from the disembarking area, so it was really convenient for boarding and getting off the ship in port.
This cabin is also unusually large for such an inexpensive category. There is a bunk bed that actually disappears into the ceiling and a daybed that can be used as a bed. We had a very nice seating area, plenty of mirrors and areas to do makeup and hair.
For those times that we did not eat in the formal dining More room, there were many choices that were no-fee, including a burrito bar, deli, pizza and calzone station, hamburger and hot dog station (best burgers!) and a lesser known area upstairs from the buffet area that serves fish and chips. The upstairs dining area was a great place to relax and look out the floor to ceiling windows.
This was the first time that I had cruised since needing to be on a special diet. I wasn't planning to say anything, but on the first night our waiter asked me if I had any special needs. After that the Hostess (Ifo) would come by every evening and show me the next day's menu for lunch and for dinner so that I could choose ahead. The meals were made according to my needs and served with my companion's meals each day.
The Glory is a large ship, but never feels that way. Also, the entertainment on board is exceptional. The singers and dancers put on such a professional show. There is a lot of attention to detail, and Carnival spares no expense on music, costumes, sets, etc. Less

Read more Carnival Glory cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Glory Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Glory Upper/Lower Riviera 1211

Cabin 1211 is amazing! One of the least expensive cabins on the ship, yet comes with two portholes! It was in a very quiet location, although we would hear a "clunk" from time to time. We really thought it was due to waves at sea, but it could have been any number of other things. We just never investigated as it didn't bother us. The cabin is much larger than the average ocean view rooms. We had a complete sitting area with a full daybed, chair coffee/end table and plenty of room for luggage. We didn't even bother to put our suitcases under the bed, because there was so much area to store them. The refrigerator was nice to have. There was plenty of drawer and closet space. They were kind enough to bring us extra hangers. And don't forget those laundry rooms for pressing, washing, etc. Very handy and a lot less expensive than having it done.

I give this port a 5+ because it offered everything that I love about a Caribbean island. Apparently Carnival had built this docking area and a wonderful beach with shopping, food, drinks, etc. What is spectacular about this particular one is that you can literally snorkel right there next to the dock. It was just breathtakingly beautiful. There must have been a hundred palm trees planted in rows with lounge chairs. The bar had a wait staff who would take orders from the beach which was really nice. Grand Turk has some of the most beautiful waters ever seen. I understand that diving and snorkeling is wonderful there. Supposedly the third largest natural reef in the world.

The only reason that I did not give this port a 5+ is because it has grown too much. They have overbuilt the docking area and it just takes away from the quaintness of the town. Still plenty to do and see without even needing to take an excursion. Do not bother with the water taxis to Paradise Island...too much waiting around. Also, you can no longer just walk around the Atlantis. Definitely book an excursion that takes you there and includes sites such as the aquarium. We had booked para sailing, but the excursion was cancelled due to high winds.
Read 2662 Nassau Reviews

The San Juan port is growing, but they are doing a very nice job. You can hardly see Old San Juan now from the ship, but it still is only a few blocks away. Once you reach Old San Juan, you immediately get the same feeling as years ago. Shopping is great. I especially enjoy shopping for items made in Puerto Rico. They have amazing artists there. We walked off the ship and were hassled by tour drivers, at first offering city tours for $30. Then as we walked away it was $20. We ended up on a very nice tour bus and a 1 1/2 hour tour for $10. In addition, our driver was willing to make stops wherever we wanted to get off. The only thing we couldn't do while with the tour was go inside the fort. Other than that it was a great way to see San Juan.
Read 1376 San Juan Reviews

This is another port that has overgrown. It is more convenient now for those who don't want to taxi into town. There are plenty of shops now within walking distance. The tram was nice, but nothing special. The views were pretty from up the hill. Still a beautiful port.
Read 2340 St. Thomas Reviews