Navigator of the Seas Cruise Review by DeliaPug: Better than expected

Member Since 2012

Compare Prices on Navigator of the Seas Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Better than expected

Sail Date: February 2012

This was my first cruise. My husband and I spoke about taking one for a while. We actually booked the cruise a bare week before the date of departure to celebrate his 30th birthday. We booked a balcony room.

Our overall experience was better than I expected. On Cruise Line Critic I got the impression that the food and customer service were sub par. Our first meal on the cruise did not leave me very hopeful. The lunch served in the Windjammer Cafe shortly before departure reminded me of school lunch. There were cold limp french fries and stale hot dog buns. I was much more impressed with the sit-down dining room. The food in the dining room was mid-level French style food. I did not realize that they completely change the menu every night. To do 10 different entrees and appetizers every night without a noticeable lack if quality was very impressive. Out waiter, Johannson, was a pleasure to have.

We did have trouble with customer service. On our second day our tickets More for our pre-booked excursions never showed up. We went to the front desk to inquire about it and they said they had no record of our excursions. Our credit card had been charged for them. They told us to rebook our excursions and if they ever found the reservations they would reimburse us for the ones we rebooked on board. There was no talk of reimbursement for excursions we missed because we could not rebook them. There was no apology. They also miraculously found our reservations late on the last night of the cruise when it was too late to do anything about it.

I wish that they had had a pool large enough to swim laps in. Most of the hot tubs were very crowded. We did find a hot tub that was nearly deserted and we were happy to use that.

I was annoyed that any time we wanted ice in the room, we had to bother someone to get it. Any time we tried to get ice over the phone we never got it. We only got it when we asked for it along with other room service orders. The last few days they started keeping ice in our room so that we wouldn't have to bother anyone.

We didn't really partake in any of the on board entertainment, so I don't have an opinion about that.

I wanted to take the cruise so that I could lay around on deck reading a book drinking a cocktail. The cruise was very good for that, especially on the last excursion day we had because we stayed on board and the boat was pretty deserted. I was disappointed that they did not have an alcohol package for drinks that were not wine.

Our last port of call was very disappointing. It was Labadee, Haiti. We did not realize when we booked the trip that Labadee was a private peninsula owned by Royal Caribbean. It reminded us of Disney Land. Nothing there was "real". It was like an amusement park. Another couple on the cruise with us said that they walked to the far end of the peninsula and that there was a ten-foot high fence covered with barbed wire to keep the starving children on the other side of the fence. It was very sad.

I enjoyed cruising enough to go again, but my husband and I don't want to use Royal Caribbean again. Next time we are supposed to have something, we are bringing documentation with us. Less

Read more Navigator of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Navigator of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Navigator of the Seas Superior Oceanview Stateroom Deck 7 8674

The power button on the TV is broken, it can only be turned on or off with the remote control. The cabin was quiet. It's a little bit of a walk to get anywhere, but I was glad to walk off some of the food we ate. There is an arm sticking out of one of the decks below us, so if you fell off of the balcony, you might hit it and hurt yourself before falling into the ocean. That worried me a little, but then I worry about stuff like that. The railing was pretty high, so it isn't likely you would fall.

Snorkeling

(5)
We went snorkeling out by a ship wreck and by a coral reef. I think I would have enjoyed the excursion more if I had not been very dehydrated and sunburned. This was a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

Dunn's River Falls

(1)
This excursion was very misleading. I was under the impression that you go on a hike, see the falls, then came back. You actually are required to join a human chain and hike up the waterfall. We did not feel that this was safe. We were also forced to spend $8 on a locker to hold our things so that they wouldn't get drenched. We did not have the right shoes and I almost didn't bring a swimming suit because the description was so hazy. We opted not to go on the hike and we had to wait for two hours for the rest of our group to complete the hike.

Zip-lining

(5.5)
We went on a zip-line excursion through the rain forest. The operators of the zip line were competent and I never feared that anything would go wrong. It was amazing to see this beautiful place from that perspective.