Carnival Dream Cruise Review by mk960072

Cruise Date: February 2012
Embarkation: Port Canaveral
Cabin Category: GS

Carnival Dream
The review may sound like I am a spa snob but I am not. The thorn in my side is what is standard on one ship is not on another ship within the Carnival line, and the free steam room is made to be a selection one would not want, so they steer one to the paid services.

The free steam room has no eucalyptus, has no windows, dark, feels like a dungeon, and smells musty. Upon first glance it is small and in thinking 4,000 people may be using it, you assume you wont be able to get a space in the free steam room. However, once you smell it and see how dark and dismal it is you realize no one uses it. In fact I saw no one in there the three times I stopped by.

The paid services include: a steam room with eucalyptus, thalassotherapy pool, and two rooms with heated seats/chaise lounges, and a room with tea and cool water with a view to relax in. The fee for using these services is $150 for one person or $250 for two people for the week or $40 for a day pass. My husband and I paid for the week and utilized the steam room daily. I can say that two different visits found the tea/water room with no water for drinking (4 separate containers) and no hot water for tea. One afternoon I told the spa technician at the front desk and he said "I will ensure there is some in there tonight for guests". Well I was trying to imply that you needed some NOW for the current guests wanting water. The fact remains if Carnival advertises these services as something they offer, they need to ensure they are available. Plus, I just cant get over the fact they make the free services so dismal no one would want to use them.

There were few exciting selections on the dinning room menu. I noticed in September and on this cruise that it seems Carnival is trying to save money by offering few food choices on the dinning menu and offering cheaper food selections. Charge a little more and I will pay it to have better food selections. Again, it seems if you want good food you need to go to the steakhouse and pay $30 per person. I don't mind paying to eat in the Steakhouse once or twice during the week, but don't make the dinning room selection so poor you push me in the direction of eating in the steak house.

Dinning in the steak house was not as good this cruise as on the Freedom. I found the lobster to be not as sweet, the amount of mushrooms they offered to be minimal, and the cheesecake was room temperature. I asked the server and she told me the chief could not refrigerate it. Yet a guest the next night told me his was cold, right out of the refrigerator that same night we ate there.

I just believe you go on a bigger ship and the staff are not as friendly, attentive, and services are lacking. I wont go on the Dream again.

Publication Date: 02/27/12