Carnival Dream Cruise Review by mk960072: Carnival Dream

Compare Prices on Carnival Dream Western Caribbean Cruises

Carnival Dream

Sail Date: February 2012
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

The review may sound like I am a spa snob but I am not. The thorn in my side is what is standard on one ship is not on another ship within the Carnival line, and the free steam room is made to be a selection one would not want, so they steer one to the paid services.

The free steam room has no eucalyptus, has no windows, dark, feels like a dungeon, and smells musty. Upon first glance it is small and in thinking 4,000 people may be using it, you assume you wont be able to get a space in the free steam room. However, once you smell it and see how dark and dismal it is you realize no one uses it. In fact I saw no one in there the three times I stopped by.

The paid services include: a steam room with eucalyptus, thalassotherapy pool, and two rooms with heated seats/chaise lounges, and a room with tea and cool water with a view to relax in. The fee for using these services is $150 for one person or $250 for two people for the week or $40 for a day pass. My husband More and I paid for the week and utilized the steam room daily. I can say that two different visits found the tea/water room with no water for drinking (4 separate containers) and no hot water for tea. One afternoon I told the spa technician at the front desk and he said "I will ensure there is some in there tonight for guests". Well I was trying to imply that you needed some NOW for the current guests wanting water. The fact remains if Carnival advertises these services as something they offer, they need to ensure they are available. Plus, I just cant get over the fact they make the free services so dismal no one would want to use them.

There were few exciting selections on the dinning room menu. I noticed in September and on this cruise that it seems Carnival is trying to save money by offering few food choices on the dinning menu and offering cheaper food selections. Charge a little more and I will pay it to have better food selections. Again, it seems if you want good food you need to go to the steakhouse and pay $30 per person. I don't mind paying to eat in the Steakhouse once or twice during the week, but don't make the dinning room selection so poor you push me in the direction of eating in the steak house.

Dinning in the steak house was not as good this cruise as on the Freedom. I found the lobster to be not as sweet, the amount of mushrooms they offered to be minimal, and the cheesecake was room temperature. I asked the server and she told me the chief could not refrigerate it. Yet a guest the next night told me his was cold, right out of the refrigerator that same night we ate there.

I just believe you go on a bigger ship and the staff are not as friendly, attentive, and services are lacking. I wont go on the Dream again. Less

Read more Carnival Dream cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Dream Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Dream Suite Empress 7245

Being in a Grand Suite on Deck 7 forward was void of loud noise, noise from public spaces such as nightclubs, and the only complaint was folks walking down the hallways talking loud in the morning when I wanted to sleep in. Balcony was large enough to sun on but the only thing I didn't like about this ship was Deck 7 overlooked Deck 5 with a sun deck. On smaller ships Deck 7 would have overlooked the water so we could see flying fish, waves, etc. I like being forward in the ship or aft so you dont have as much foot traffic. Deck 7 is nice because there are staterooms above and below eliminating noise from public spaces like casinos, public decks, and nightclubs.

booked scuba excursion with the ship and paid $170 per person and dive was okay. I consider this to be expensive and for what I say underwater, not worth it. The staff on the dive were very attentive and helpful, but the sites just were not worth the money. Also, they took us to the dive resort for equipment and then back for drinks and lunch if we wanted it. While there they gave us time to go through their little gift shop which was nice, but I wanted to buy local items and shop had minimal selection. Just know that Carnival will not provide time to go to Belize City if you book a diving or snorkeling excursion with them in Belize.

My spouse and I took a taxi over to the downtown area to shop and check things out. The taxi ride was 5-7 minutes from the ship and I would not fool with doing this again. In fact, I would not even stop at this port. In going downtown, the area is beside the beach which brings a nice sea breeze but the folks trying to sell their wares and massages is intrusive and cumbersome. Every five feet some one asks if you want a massage, and then a vendor asks if you want to sit at their tables and have drinks on the beach. I walk another five feet and there is another vendor asking if I want to sit at his tables where I can have a free shot of tequilla. Give me a break! I heard the cruise ships help rebuild this port after a hurricane destroyed it, and of course they have a vested interest in folks buying things.

Scuba - Certified

(5)
Operator was fabulous in taking us to dive site quickly, offered personalized attention, ensured all were safe and understood instructions, offered local lunch suggestions, and had snacks available. I dove with them in September and made sure I booked with them again. The lady who owns the dive shop, Joyce always responds to email quickly when making reservations and was on site to greet us. She followed our visit with an email, cant wait to go diving with her folks again!

Diver operator, Anthony's Key was fabulous and dive sites were fabulous. The excursion was booked via cuise for $99 per dive. The dive sites were right off the coast and within a five minute boat ride of the resort. The dive operator did not offer snacks but did have a shop to buy them. Make this a must do dive for those divers out there. It ranks up there with Cozumel.
Read 1661 Roatan Reviews