Caribbean Princess Cruise Review by Chuck1j

Cruise Date: December 2011
Embarkation: San Juan
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Cabin Category: BD
See More About: Caribbean Princess Cruise Reviews | Southern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Princess Cruise Deals

Caribbean Princess B2B Departures Dec 18th & 26th 2011
Re: Caribbean Princess Back to Back Departures Dec 18th & 26th 2011.

Sir:

I don't feel that I should have to resort to again taking my time to point out obvious short falls in your organizations, Management and Security.

I have cruised with Princess 20 times over the past years and I am scheduled to sail with Princess again on Star Princess Mar3rd. 2012. I have always kept up my end of the bargain of being a Loyal and frequent passenger. I feel that your organization on the Caribbean Princess has not done its duty to me and my fellow passengers.

I attended a party on Board the Caribbean Princess to celebrate the Top 20 most traveled passengers. I met the Captain Craig Street and several other Senior Officers. I asked to speak with him about some concerns I had, at a time, other than the party. He acknowledged and had his Customer Relations Manager; Lars-Alexander Helms call me and arrange an appointment. I took the time out of my vacation to go and sit with Mr. Helms to explain to him that I didn't feel that it was fair for Princess to be downloading its responsibilities to the passengers. Lars did listen and comment as the meeting progressed and kept me informed that he had notified all departments of my concerns. He called me once more to inform me that Youth Security had been added to the New Year's cruise. (Myself and my fellow passengers feel Youth Security, should be on all Holiday and Spring Break cruises where there is a large number of children on board.)

1. Maintenance:

a. I and several other passengers complained about a Jacuzzi being out of service, several times. I was given the old "it will be fixed soon and it will be fixed tomorrow "line. I waited 3 days called back and was fed the same "BULSHIT" and I told the Pursers desk that in no uncertain terms. I had been in contact with a fellow passenger from the Dec 11th 2011, cruise who told me it had been closed on his cruise as well. I informed the Pursers Desk that if it wasn't fixed by the next morning I would call Santa Clarita. Guess what it was in full working order the next morning.

b. Why should I or passengers have to get on their backs to do their jobs? We signed on and paid our passage, it is your duty to ensure we have a relaxing time, not have to follow up on delinquent maintenance. The Jacuzzi was not the only thing taps in washrooms, an important health item on board, were not working in various washrooms throughout the ship. Air conditioning on Board was interment especially in the cabins at night.

2. Security:

a. Deck 17 aft on the first cruise was a disaster area; several Puerto Rican Families took over the location and became extremely unruly. Pretending they couldn't read English regarding the rules and when they had it explained to them they became taunting and loud. One woman resorted to washing a dirty diaper in the Children's splash pool. At one point they flooded the Adults only Jacuzzi with children and refused to leave, there was more than 10 in the tub along with their parents. By the time they left the tub smelled of urine. It had to be cleaned overnight (and it was).

b. Even though the Pursers desk had been notified, no one showed up during that cruise to intervene or investigate. I feel that when a passenger requests Security to attend a problem, they should show up in a timely manner. The Deck Attendant was nowhere to be found except to lay out loungers and stow them in the evening, which he did with fervor in the late afternoon ordering people to vacate the loungers sometimes before 5 PM but he would not be around to ensure the orderly use of the Deck.

c. Again I don't think passengers should have to intervene in security issues.

d. I was assured by Mr. Helms that the following cruise would be different, as Youth Security would be on board and be more vigilant. We didn't have as much trouble on Deck 17 aft but it was still left to the passengers to enforce the rules as the was very little evidence of Deck Attendance or Security.

e. I was walking back to my cabin, late one afternoon and was witness to a Spring Break outbreak at the main pool. Adults and children belly flopping from the Jacuzzi into the pool, underage drinking supplied by older young adults and parents ( I was acquainted with several of the culprits, so I know there was underage drinking). General mayhem is a good description. I stood there for a good 10 minutes; it was obvious this had been going on for a while due to level of intoxication. I looked around the area; there was not a single Deck Attendant, Security Officer or Ships Officer to be found.

I spoke confidentially with several Staff, Deck Attendants, Waiters, Bartenders, and Maintenance Staff and Officers. They all agree with me and they all said the same thing. "If there is a conflict between the staff and a passenger, the passenger wins and could cost them their job". Their stance is "I SEE NOTHING AND I KNOW NOTHING."

Thia review was sent to the President of Princess Cruise Lines, I received a call from a Representative of the President of Princess who listened attentively and offered no comment on my letter. She hoped I would continue cruising on Princess.

Publication Date: 02/26/12