Carnival Inspiration Cruise Review by jodagayton: Fabulous Family Cruise

Fabulous Family Cruise

Sail Date: February 2012
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Embarkation: Los Angeles

I appreciate all the reviews on Cruise Critic and so here is mine.

We just got back from the Carnival Inspiration 2/20- 2/24.
Took my daughter 12 and her friend.

Trip started out rocky when Southwest lost my suitcase when the flight attendant checked my bag at the gate because it was a little too big for carry-on. Piece of advice - either bring a small carry-on - check SW website or check your luggage. Make sure that even your carry-on has id on and in the suitcase - mine didn't. If you are one of the last people on the plane, you might have to give your suitcase to the flight attendant - so make sure you get tag, double check that the flight attendant has put a tag on it, and make sure your suitcase has id - nothing like going on a cruise with no clothes.
Southwest did not find my bag the whole time we were gone - Carnival was great about checking with them throughout the cruise and Carnival gave me a free toiletry kit, T-shirt, and 20% off in the ships More stores. Southwest also gave me up to $500 to spend in Catalina - which doesn't go far in Catalina - I did find a great store - Avalon Bay Company - 407 Crescent Street - to the right of the pier - had cute - non "touristy" clothes - Maria very helpful.

SHIP - Room M191 - state attendant great - tried to get a balcony but I think they only have 40 on board - next time would book a room on the even side of the ship - then would have views of Catalina and Ensenada. Rooms are tiny - not good for more than 2 - squishy with 3. Food excellent -had early seating with other families traveling with children - have to try the warm chocolate melting cake - yum! Kids club great - Club O - for 12 - 14 year olds very fun for my girls. Shows - excellent. Comedy - fantastic - especially adult only comedy - so funny! Guest services incredibly nice and helpful. People on the ship- very nice - mostly families - probably half of ship kids - very different than previous Carnival Cruises - where everyone was drunk.

CATALINA - Book all excursions off ship if possible. Snorkeled with Catalina dive shop - unfortunately had to get excursion through ship because they had an deal with the ship $50 per person - nice people - problem with wetsuits - hard to put on without zippers - water only 55 degrees and a little hard to get in water at Lovers Point - heard that fish were beautiful - I bailed out of going - just too cold. I recommend to snorkel when it gets warmer.
Parasailing - Island Water Charters Parasailing - $65 per person - great - very nice people - book right when get off tender - tandem sailing - very safe and fun!

ENSENADA - A MUST MUST MUST DO - Las Canadas Zipline - 40 minute drive - go into town to take taxi - don't take small buses from port - double the price - unfortunately I didn't know - should only cost about $40 round trip - driver will stay while you zipline. Course at least 6 different lines - obstacle course - guides very nice and patient - one in front of group and one at the end - very safe - not crowded now - will be in summer - 400 zipliners a day. Price only $25 for 2 - I gave the guides each a $20 tip because they handled screaming girls very well. Highlight - planks in air that you jump to - if too scared you can also walk around that section. Beautiful scenery - worth the drive - on the way back to the ship we had our driver take up to the blow hole. Better to see Blow Hole in the morning - not good in the afternoon - shopping great - 2 blocks of vendors - cash only - lots of bargaining - great deals - a little aggressive. Best Guacamole in Havana Banana's restaurant - if you just go to blow hole - don't take tour through ship - just have taxi in town take you - I think round trip about $30.

I hope that this review helps - so much fun! Less

Read more Carnival Inspiration cruise reviews >>