Carnival Conquest Cruise Review by San70

Member Name: San70
Cruise Date: August 2011
Embarkation: New Orleans

Disappointed
I sailed on the Carnival Conquest with my family and fiance. Needless to say, we were VERY disappointed and I'm now convinced just exactly why Carnival is the cheapest cruise line.

We went on a 7 night caribbean cruise to Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel. I had already been on a few cruises before, but this was my first time sailing on Carnival. We sailed on Carnival this time around in order to save money for my wedding.

First lets talk about the boarding process in New Orleans. We got to the cruise terminal as early as possible as we were told the earlier you go, the shorter of a wait there will be. This was not the case. Everything was very unorganized and it was pretty much mass chaos. It took us almost 2 hours just to go through security and to check in/check our luggage. It was ridiculous. I had sailed on Royal Caribbean a year ago and when sailing on Royal Caribbean it literally only took us 30 minutes to go through the boarding process. I have no clue why it took 2 hours on Carnival.

Our stateroom was not ready when we boarded the ship so we had to wait. The first thing we did was visit the guest relations desk to pick up our tickets for our shore excursions on the island... keep in mind we booked the shore excursions through Carnival 6 months before sailing. To our disappointment, we were told at the guest relations desk that there was no record of our bookings for shore excursions (a friend of mine who sailed on Carnival recently also had this same issue). Unfortunately our excursions in Grand Cayman and Cozumel were booked so we had to pick something else.. and as you can imagine, our options were very limited. We were very peaved that they couldn't do anything about this seeing that we booked our excursions 6 months in advance. Also, the people working at the guest relations desk were not very helpful and were rude about the whole situation.

Our stateroom was nice. However, we did not receive our luggage until 7 that evening and it wasn't even OUR luggage. They accidentally gave us the wrong suitcases.. so back we went to guest relations and they had to track down what room our luggage went to.. we didn't get the right luggage until 11 that night. Our stewardess who took care of our room for the week also did a poor job. We would get back late in the afternoon from doing something and our room would still be messy. He typically would not come to our room until 4 in the afternoon, which is ridiculous.

The food on the cruise was very very poor quality. The only thing I enjoyed was the chocolate melting cake. The service at the dining room as well as the other restaurants onboard was very poor.

We enjoyed Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel.. all beautiful places. However, we would have enjoyed them more had we gotten to go on the shore excursions we originally booked.

Once again, on the last day when we got back to New Orleans the process to get off the ship was very unorganized.

I will never sail on Carnival again.. there is a reason it's the cheapest cruise line!! The ships also don't have much to offer. We found ourselves getting very bored on the days at sea which have never happened on the previous cruises I've been on. I think I'll stick to Royal Caribbean from now on.

Publication Date: 02/26/12