Carnival Ecstasy Cruise Review by CRidlbauer: First Time Cruising

First Time Cruising

Sail Date: February 2012
Destination: Bahamas
Embarkation: Other

This was my husband's and my first cruise. We loved it and are already talking about where we should go next.

A bit about Carnival Ecstasy. The boat is older, but it still looks very nice and is in very good shape. The crew was friendly and helpful. The food in the dining room was excellent, but I wasn't too fond of the buffet lines. The food wasn't horrible at the buffet, but it was always cooler than I wanted it to be and sometimes had that "sitting out" texture.

We stayed in a balcony stateroom which was an excellent way to travel. I get motion sickness, but I knew fresh air would help me counteract the nausea. On the ship I only got nauseous once and it was a wavy night.

We only did one shore excursion the entire trip. We did the kayak and nature hike trip in Freeport. Our guide (Ricardo) was awesome. Very laid back but had a lot of information. The trip was great and we basically floated down a mangrove stream towards the ocean. It was a More great way to kick start our vacation!

We chose the my time dining. We figured we didn't want to get "trapped" having to eat dinner if we weren't hungry or if something else was happening that we wanted to do. We found that we were hungry about the same time every night. We had to wait two times to get into dinner - about 45 min to an hour. We did receive some chocolates one night as an apology for having to wait.

We also went to the comedy shows and had a wonderful time at all of them.

Overall, the cruise was amazing. Thanks to the Carnival staff for making it great. Less

Read more Carnival Ecstasy cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Ecstasy Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Ecstasy Balcony Empress e244

Our cabin area was clean and large enough. It was very comfortable. The balcony was perfect. The only complaint is the smoking. It would be nice if they had smoking balconies on only one side of the ship or on certain floors. One evening our cabin smelled of smoke from the neighbors. Quiet.

Kayaking

(5.5)
We got bussed inland to the kayak/bike/jeep location. We then took a van for about 30 - 45 minutes to the mangrove stream. We were given a quick demo of how to use the paddle and then put into boats. Our guide gave us some natural history as we paddled, but most of the time it was a solitary event with your boating partner. We saw a lot of fish (the water is very clear) and even a sting ray. We learned about the mangrove swamps and why they are an important part of the ecology of the area. At the end we hopped back in the van to head to the beach where lunch was provided. Basic turkey and ham sandwiches with apples and cookies. It was a perfect meal I felt. We then had about an hour to explore the beach. Then we headed back to port. There are a few tourist style shops at the port to fill the last hour before departure.

We spent a lot of time walking around. We had downloaded a walking tour of the city and did most of it. There are no sidewalks after you leave the port area, so it was scary to be walking down the edge of the road with cars everywhere. Nassau is a very busy town. The people were nice though, always saying hi and willing to give direction when needed. We did not make it there, but we were told that Twin Brothers was THE place to go for conch. We were given directions, but after walking a long way we still hadn't found it, so we turned around and came back into the port area. We later spoke with other cruisers who said we were only about a block from it. Bummer! So when finding it, go past Junkanoo Beach even if you feel you've gone too far. If you want to buy anything in this town, but ready to haggle. We were going to take surrey ride (horse and carriage), but just ran out of time. There are plenty of buses and guides that are willing to take you around Nassau that are not affiliated with the ship. I heard their tours were very good. I also heard good things about the trip to Atlantis, but we didn't do that either.
Read 2627 Nassau Reviews