Carnival Magic Cruise Review by kptravel

Cabin Category: 8A
        Under 3 2.0
        3-6 5.0

Carnival Magic - 12/26/11 - New Years Eve Cruise
Overall we had a great vacation on the Magic! We were a family of four (with 2 boys ages 5 and 1) so I'll give you some of my "mom's point of view":

Port of Galveston - Be prepared for a LONG wait. First in traffic, then in line to for security, then in line to check-in, then in line to board. When we were finally on board everyone was tired and a bit cranky... I was lucky to have had some cereal bars in my backpack to calm everyone's nerves.

First Impression - everyone was so excited to finally be on board. One of our first stops was the Camp Carnival to get the boys registered. 5 year old didn't want to leave.

Food - The waitstaff was amazing the whole week! Food at dinners were good - but not amazing. There were always good options for the boys. Red Frog was great!

Camp Carnival - My son really had fun there. The hours were not consistent so be sure to get a schedule from them. We went to the early morning hours with the 1 year old so he could have some playtime too (parents have to stay with them). But when in port (Progress and Costa Maya) we really didn't want to do excursions with the boys so we stayed on board. For an hourly rate they provide babysitting for the under 3's. So we were "kid free" for a few hours on a couple days!

Pool - Loved our days by the pool. We found a "quiet" corner with few chairs up on the waterworks level. Stayed for hours.

I wish they had...

- offered the babysitting in the evenings earlier than 10pm -- we were so tired by then that we never took advantage of it

- opened the Camp Carnival on the disembarkation day -- it was advertised to be open and it would have been nice to have a place to let the kids run around on the morning while waiting to get off the boat (we were delayed for hours due to fog)

- not charged extra for the food at the Red Frog Pub - we loved the grouper fingers and even though they were only about $4 an order ...well... our tab added up!

- allowed swim diapers in the pool. No water (even Waterworks) for the 1 year old :(

- visited some better ports - no place that I would want to take my 2 young boys

I loved...

- room service breakfasts

- new year's eve from our cabin balcony

- dress up night with both my boys in tuxedos

- finishing the rope course with my 5 year old cheering me on from below

- serenity spa area

We will definitely be cruising again...

Publication Date: 02/26/12