Liberty of the Seas Cruise Review by Richfame: Review from a first time cruiser

Richfame
Member Since 2012

Compare Prices on Liberty of the Seas Western Caribbean Cruises

Review from a first time cruiser

Sail Date: February 2012

I just got back from my first cruise and I was very impressed. I sailed on RCL Liberty of the seas. These are my overall impressions:

Embarkation- Thankfully we choose a cruise ship that left of out Ft Lauderdale. Getting to the port and on to the boat was so easy. My wife who has been on a handful of cruises before we married always left out of Miami and told me how awful that can be. We literally were on the boat within 30 minutes.

The Liberty- First let me say how big and beautiful the Liberty is. The crew works so hard to keep the boat clean and keep all the people happy! I have to say as a first time cruiser i was VERY overwhelmed, it really took a few days to get the lay of the land. The first day we spent time at the main pool, and the rest of the time we hung out at the adult pool. If its not a port day its important to get up early and grab prime chairs. I had to be out by the adult pool by 8 30 to save a chair. All the chairs were taken by 9 am!!! More

Room- I upgraded to a JR SUITE. It was great. It has like a king sized bed huge walk in closet and big balcony!! No matter what room you get a balcony is a must and try to get on deck 10 the higher the better. Being on deck 10 is close to the pool deck and windjammer cafe. A great location!

Ports-
1. Belize- I was so excited to go to Belize, I heard many good things. Being a first time cruiser I thought we go explore Belize maybe find a nice beach and relax----WRONG!!! WARNING TO FIRST TIEM CRUISERS- Belize is a dump!!! I made such a huge mistake by not booking a snorkeling excursion. The port was such a small dumpy port. We tried walking outside of the port and got hounded by locals asking us to go here or there. They walked with us and would not stop. AWEFUL.

2. Cozumel- I was a little more prepared for Cozumel. We took a cab to Paradise Beach and it was the best time I ever had. Went to an awesome beach where you can rent lounge chairs an umbrellas for only 12 dollars!! They had a awesome pool, restaurant and it was very clean!! Best time I ever had!!

Meals- The food was very good. The windjammer had excellent breakfast. I pretty much went to the station where they made your omelettes to order and that was awesome. Lunch at the windjammer was just alright. I don't really like buffet style food so I really just picked around. The dining hall was very good. The service was the best and the food was great. You can get as many appetizers and entrees as you want! Very impressive. The best food on the ship is at Portofinos and chops. These are the two specialty restaurants and you have to pay extra for them. It is well worth it! These are just about as good as it gets!!

Debarkation- A nightmare. It took like an hour to get our bags and get through customs...argh.. Please allow enough time for this mad dash and try not to get trampled on!!

Overall it was a great experience. My only complaints are there were too many extra charges. If you want Ben and jerry's ice cream or Johnny Rockets or bottle water be prepared to pay extra!! They also provide the worst watered down OJ and Apple juice you ever tasted!! Lastly be prepared to fight over valuable lounge chairs especially is you want the nicer adult pool!! Less

Read more Liberty of the Seas cruise reviews >>