Liberty of the Seas Cruise Review by BBallDan

10-12 1.0
        13-15 1.0
        16+ 1.0

Great First Cruise
Loved reading some of the reviews to help me plan my trip, so thought I'd give a review to help others

We went down a day early to get a better flight cost and to allow us more time to get ready for the trip. We stayed at the FL Marriott Harbor Hotel and it was a very nice hotel, we used Marriott points so it was a value. We didn't have any issue getting onto to the ship, our boarding pass said to get in line at 1:30 and we got in line around 1 and was on the ship by about 1:30...no trouble at all

We walked around the ship for a little bit and made some dinner reservations once we got onto the ship and also got some information for what events the kids could do, all very easy. We had lunch at Windjammer and by the time we got to our room some of our Luggage had arrived. I saw our other luggage in a stairway and retrieved 2 bags myself, however when I tried to get the remaining pieces of luggage I was told only RC personnel could deliver the luggage..oh well. Try to get the Luggage tags before you sail. Our room was near the front of the ship, deck 8. We were near the stairs and elevators, we found ourselves using the stairs the majority of the time.

We had 2 rooms, both nice, the balcony room had a little more room, we also had an interior room directly across from the balcony room. The interior room was suppose to have 3 beds, but we found out the 3rd bed was actually a bunk bed that came down from the ceiling. We ended up having our son sleep on the couch in our room and our 2 daughters slept in the other room. We were not in our rooms much so the room doesn't really mean that much but I guess it was nice to have a balcony. I slept well each night and our room attendent was very good.

I went to the meet and greet at Olive and Twist, was a few minutes late but meet some people and actually saw them a lot on the trip.

My wife and I went to "welcome show" at the Platinum Theatre and it was pretty good. The comedian was actually a lot better at the Welcome show than he was at the late night show.

I won't go into each meal, but I thought the food was very good. I'm not a big eater for breakfast or lunch and there was plenty of options at Windjammer. The last day we ate lunch at Johnny Rockets and it was also very good. We had dinner 3 nights in the main dining room and the food and service was very good, sometimes slow on the service but more time to spend with the family..right :-). One night we had dinner at Portofino and it was also very good. There was some confusion on the reservation that could have been handled better in my opinion. Make sure you double check any reservations you made on line. One night was a formal night and the ladies seemed to be a lot more dressed up than the men. Not many tuxedos. One night there was a "white night" with food and drinks by the pool, but we were too tired to make the 11 O'clock time frame!

In Belize we did a private ATV, Cave Tubing and Zip Line excursion. We got a little late start but was able to do all 3. We went through cavetubing.com and they did a great job. They even let my 12 year old drive the ATV (don't tell my wife)! I wore a white shirt, which was a mistake....got dirt all over it. The cave tubing was interesting, but a little slow. I've done zip lining before and it was good, excellent choice for a young kid or someone who had never done it before. We were all pleased with the choice of doing all 3 events while in Belize and we got back in plenty of time to get back on the ship.

In Cozumel we went snorkeling with Eagle Ray divers. It took us awhile to get out of the marina and to the reef, but we had a great day and was able to see a great amount of fish. We took 2 dives, but really only needed one for our group. I'd recommend Eagle Ray, they know their stuff and are very friendly. They dropped us off at a place where we could hang by the beach and have lunch / drink but we decided to go downtown to Margaritaville. I'm guessing you could spend all day at Margaritaville as they are right on the water and have a bunch of bouncy / jump things in the water to keep the kids busy all day long and did I mention they have Margarita's!

Make sure you bring (and use!) sun tan lotion, a few of us got nice sunburns on the back! We booked both trips by ourselves after reading a lot of advice on cruise critic.

On the Ship we did the climbing wall (it's harder than it looks!) and Flow Rider (A blast), I worked out twice at the gym (very nice, but does get crowded), played some basketball and the kids also did kids Dodge ball. We watched a movie at sunset at the pool. We spent a fair amount of time at the pool / hot tub area. This cruise had a bunch of kids and the chairs by the pool got taken early, but we were always able to find chairs. My wife got a couple massages and said the Spa was great.

Spent some time at Hoof & Claw as well as Vintage Wine bar and Catacombs, all places got crowed at times and other times very quiet. Spent about 10 minutes in the casino.

I only got to see one show (In the Air), I heard all the shows were great, just couldn't fit it in. In the Air was very good, just make sure you get there early to get a seat.

Getting off the boat was a piece of cake, only issue I had was we purchased transportation from RC to Miami airport and after getting on the bus, we didn't leave for 70 minutes. The bus dropped us off far away from our terminal (I guess they have a new place for cruise line bus drop off). Miami airport is huge to begin with, but we had to walk a very long distance to get to American Airlines to check in. I'd take a taxi next time.

One last thing if you are traveling with a family, cell phones don't always work so it's tough to keep in contact if you are trying to find someone or need to meet up, Walkie talkies might be an option.

All in all, very please with the trip!

Publication Date: 02/26/12